DW pedals ... kind of crap?

I've got a DW 3000 and it's just fine for me. I'm considering a 5000, though. Or maybe a Pearl? Don't know XD Decision only after testing both.

The big surprise to me was the Yamaha pedals. I've used Yamaha d for years, & believe it to be consistently the best out there, but I always regarded their pedals as a bit cumbersome & uninspiring. Their latest 9000 series are very well made & also very smooth & responsive. Constructional quality is certainly a cut above the DW5000 series, and, at least in the UK, cheaper too.[/QUOTE]

I love Yamaha hardware. Cheaper than most of the big names and very, very reliable. Agree with the pedals. I have the new 8500C. Very smooth, powerful, responsive and has the longer footboard which is great for me for playing heel toe and just because i've got quite big feet. I only use Yamaha Hardware, to me it's the best out

I have all Yamaha hardware except for my 9000 pedals and snare stand. When I got my Yamaha drums, I ordered Yamaha pedals as well. After 6 or 7years of punishment, it couldn't hold up any more. This was their top of the line offering right before the Flying Dragon series came out. I wasn't mad about it. It was a great pedal but just wasn't sturdy enough to keep going.
I ended up replacing it with DW's 9000 series and haven't looked back. It is built rock solid and is infinitely adjustable. The only reason I replaced my Yamaha hihat stand is because I like the idea of having matching pedals. I ended up getting the DW snare stand, too. I've never seen a heavier duty snare stand and I like the way it adjusts.
The rest of my Yamaha hardware is great. There's no reason to replace it. All great stuff. NOT crap!

DW5000 series is as standard as you can get but why would you ever go to DW looking for bang for your buck. They are expensive (sometimes esoteric) but they do make good quality stuff. I have owned both the 9000 (didn't like it) and the single chain 5000 (my backup) but I personally like Tama for pedals, but would consider DW just as tough or tougher except for the poorly designed heel plate hinge. And really no decent pedal makes that much difference once your technique is down.

I used a DW 5000 series for 2 months before the chain broke on it. I'm not a "heavy" drummer at all - chain broke during a gig! I've never broken a chain before or since. Seemed weird to me... I use a crappy Pearl pedal, whatever one comes with the Rhythm Traveler kit. 4 years, no problems. I also use the Iron CObra hi-hat stand, best I've ever used.

I will vouch for the DW hardware. Over the years I've owned 3 versions of he 5000 and one version of the 9000. For me, the 9000 was TOO smooth, then I bought a Trick Bigfoot. Trick is a great pedal but recently I bought the lastest DW5000 AD4 and now Im back home! The hardware is NOT crap whatsoever....but...everybody has their own thing and I understand that. For me, DW pedals/hihat stands have served me very very well.

Another 5000 pedal lover, here. Bought mine almost 6 years ago and have beat the living hell out of it, and it still serves me as well as day one. I've broken 3 springs in that time, but nothing else on the pedal.

Furthermore, all of my hardware is DW and it's excellent, IMO. I play 2-3 gigs a week now and I thoroughly punish my hardware...don't have a single complaint.

I play in heavy rock bands, and I use the 2 leg 3000 hat pedal. I have 3 of them (for different kits) and one was bought when it was still a 5000L(ight).

It's sturdy, and roadworthy. I like that it's lighter--that's why I bought it.
I also use a left side ft, so 2 legs is what I need, and this pedal works and feels just fine. Even under heavy playing with 15" and 16" hi hats.

I also like the Eliminator over the 5000 or 3000, but with a delta hinge, I like the 3000 over the 5000.
Actually, I played a new 2012 model PDP pedal--has a silver finish, and pretty smooth footboard. It was super smooth and had GREAT action AND it was tagged at $89!!
To each their own, but for MY foot I'd take that PDP over a 5000 any time.
Unless someone abuses the pedal, it's not gonna fall apart. Parts used these days are too good, and something would have to be a pretty budget pedal to dump out on someone.

I also really love the Tama Camco. I just started using mine again after 20 years and just bought a new re-issue for a spare on gigs. It flies and feels awesome (also, without any heavy duty heel plate)!!

I've used a 7000 single for years, it has held up great. I have had issues with their hardware around the church I play at, but you know how well gear can be kept there. Anything can happen. I'm looking forward to switching to 6000, which should give me a new perspective on DW's hardware. It's pricy, but I do find that when it's working right, it feels best.

I wanted to go to a dbl pedal, so I "Upgraded" from an 80's Camco single chain/pedal, to a dbl pedal/ chain DW3000.
I just got it today, but that Camco is FAR more responsive, and that heel plate on the DW3000 is outright horrible, who comes up with this stuff?
I tested the 5000 and 9000 at GC(I wanted the 9000 dbl, couldn't afford it ;( ), and I didn't notice just how horrible that heel plate is....probably because I wasn't playing heel/toe much, if at all.
Where's my grinder.............

I adjusted it best I can, and I'm gonna give it a few, but I have a feeling that pedal is gonna get sold really quick.
I'm actually gonna switch the main 3K beater with the Camco felt one and see if that helps, but that 3000 feels sluggish in comparison.....I was astounded, and obviously very disappointed.

I've been using a DW9000 for a couple months now, and so far the heel plate is the only issue I've found that bothers me. So much so that I even took it off and put it back together with different screws and without the heel plate.
That didn't work out so well, so it's back like stock now.
I think if the heel plate were about half as thick, it would be an almost perfect pedal for me.
I'm not sure I'm ready to take the grinder to it yet though - LOL.

That 9K is ridiculously smooth, I was shocked by how smooth it was in comparison to the IC that I tried(both new).
I've never tried a pedal that smooth, of course I was out of the game the last 15, so that may explain that.
Stupid me was looking at Heel-up only I guess(would be my 1st dbl).
The 9K Hi-Hat stand was ridiculous as well.

You could take off the heel plate and bring it to a machine shop and have another one made up to your specs with tapped holes for the hinge and everything if you so choose(thinner, and without that ridiculous tread)- no big deal for a good machine shop.
My problem with the 3K, is it feels sluggish, and it's a brand new pedal just out of the box....feels like a POS in comparison to the Camco, and the spring angle(beater) on the Camco only has 3-4 holes(on MINE- I see newer ones have total swing adjustment), where as the 3K is adjustable across it's entire slot range(would probably be 5-6 holes on the older Camco I have).
I just don't think the 3K is a good pedal for me, but I'm hoping it will be after beater change/practice, as I got that pedal new for a good price....I won't hesitate to get rid of it though if need be.

Another example....don't assume......even if you read a ton of stuff.....I'm such a dumbass.

Last edited:
Back