Danny Carey

Danny Carey is a masterful drummer, but that's all I have positive to say about this band...their music...for being so-called heavy and intricite simply is the most boring metal music ive ever heard.

I have SO TRIED to get into Tool...boy have I...but it's just boring music to me.

That T Bartles guy certainly has it nailed down. It takes some patience to sit and learn those tool songs the whole way through. Great job!

Anyone ever notice how far behind the "Official" site for the band is? How lame is that? The only thing interesting on that site is the "Play Pong" feature that takes your mind off of how lame the site really is.

Oh, how I long for the day another album is released.

I'm quoting myself here cuz I just revisited thier site and they haven't even added the new album which is nearly 3 years old to the site yet. Such a shame.

I am excited for Danny's signature snare to come out! Sonor has NOT given ANY info about it, but I really hope its 14x8 and very huge sounding. I always have loved the way his snare sounded on Aenima and Lateralus turned off. Those records are absolutely stunning. "Ticks and Leeches" is literally the best drum song I have ever heard. Anyone who can deliver Bonham like power with Steve Gadd like tecnique is fine by my book! Luckily, next time Tool releases an album, I'll be able to drive and see them lol! Was any one else really dissapointed w/ 10000 days? I dunno if it was just me, but it sucked.

Was any one else really dissapointed w/ 10000 days? I dunno if it was just me, but it sucked.

I don't think it sucked but I was expecting much more from it. Trying to follow up on the albums Aenima and Lateralus sets the expectations really high. I sure as hell expected them to ratchet the bar up because they always have in the past. It's a solid record that is lacking in solid song foundations.

I don't think it sucked but I was expecting much more from it. Trying to follow up on the albums Aenima and Lateralus sets the expectations really high. I sure as hell expected them to ratchet the bar up because they always have in the past. It's a solid record that is lacking in solid song foundations.

LOL try topping Lateralus! I bet they were under tremendous pressure. I think all the songs were boring, not well written, etc.

LOL try topping Lateralus! I bet they were under tremendous pressure. I think all the songs were boring, not well written, etc.

Yes, topping Lateralus would have been something. I guess thats why I wasn't too upset when Tool bombed the last record. Lateralus will hold much weight for many years to come.

I do share you feelings to a degree.

"Ticks and Leeches" is literally the best drum song I have ever heard.

I can't disagree with this, one sick azz song. Although my favorite song on that album is The Grudge. And pretty slick drumming on that one too.

I don't think Tool feels pressure like other artists. I don't get the impression they make music for anyone but themselves. Wings For Marie/10,000 Days is an extremely personal song that took quite a lot of listening by me to actually enjoy it.

I disagree about the well-written analysis, but I dig you on the fact that I don't find myself being compelled to listen to the entire album (which is in contrast to all the others). There are 3, count 'em 3 songs that I want to hear over and again off 10k Days: Vicarious, Jambi, and Right In Two, the rest all sound like Caesaro Summability...;-)

By the way, Chuck Norris wears Danny Carey pajamas.

Honestly, I enjoyed 10,000 Days. It definitely wasn't their best, but much of it put me into an induced meditation that was pretty cool. It's no Lateralus, but then again, Lateralus is a masterpiece.

First off, I agree wholeheartedly with the consensus here that Danny Carey really has it all: groove, feel, chops, power, independence, etc, and clearly deserves his success. However I must disagree with the trend in analysis of 10000 Days. I listen to this album more than any of their others, and Tool is by far my favorite band. At first, I was honestly NOT impressed at all with this album, but like any creative and challenging work, YOU have to put work into it as well to reap the hidden rewards. I had to listen to some of the songs a ridiculous amount of times to really get the feeling they were trying to convey - and that is what tool is all about. If you are just looking for a metal song, of course it will be boring, or weird, because they don't play metal music! Their art exists in a liminal zone independent of superficial genre classification because it is not just about the sound, but the feel generated by their emotional states and a scientific understanding of cymatic metaphysics, manifest acoustically as music.

I totally understand the sentiment though about not liking some tool material, even as a huge fan. I'm still not too keen on a lot of Undertow, although I am finally breaking into it to some extent, but a lot of it just still doesn't do it for me. However I credit that to a lack of effort on my part to really deeply get into the music, not any fault of the band. That is something peculiar about Tool, that a lot of their music is a hard nut to crack, but if you can do it, and change your mind into a receiver for what's really going on in their music, especially the drums, it's amazing.

this guy is the greatest for me. The way he plays and uses his technique and how he has improved sice the first album of tool to the last. And how he plays in the band Volto! ( seen them live,, wow)
His playing is based a lot on the feelin, a more emotional way of drumming. He can take his mind to a unique place and he can intepret his ideas and thoughts to us, as well as he can cause a reaction on every one of us drummers or musicians.
How his drumset is placed percectly with a mathematician, followin the "circle theory" mixed with the "golden proportion" mixed with a theory called " the theory of the equator".
He has no boundaries, he is really creative .
He has been a great inspiration, at least for me.
post your thoughts on this fella

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Danny_Carey.html

Volto? as big of a Danny Carey fan as i am, ive never heard of this group! ill be sure to check them out

Danny Carey is the reason why i drum, plain and simple

some of my favorite TOOL tracks of his drumming are 4°, Eulogy, 46 & 2, Jimmy, every track on lateralus, wings for marie Part I, 10,000 days Part II, rosetta stoned, intension, and right in two, which is the sickest track in muical existence

oh yeah, to all the ppl saying that the album 10,000 Days was bad, please tell me why wings for marie Part I, 10,000 days Part II, rosetta stoned, intension, and right in two are bad songs

intension into right in two is just about as good as music gets

Yeah Danny Carey is one hell of a drummer. So much power, creativity, and feel. He's just a cool guy too, always seems so calm. There's a good page at http://www.total-drums.com/danny-carey.html with pics and vids. Wonder when Tools next album will be out...

10,000 days was 2 years and a bit ago? If they carry on with th 5 year gap thing, they should be relasing a new one in about 3 years.

Back