Danny Carey

g00ch said:
Very amazing drummer, if anyone can scan any articles in modern drummer or anything that would be excellent. Cannot wait for the new album, regardless of everyone freaking out about the title

what is the title ??

Saw Tool at the Long Beach Arena and it was one of the best rock shows I've ever seen. Right up there with Dream Theatre and Liquid Tension. The whole mysticism thing kinda reminds me of Blue Oyster Cult. Tongues planted firmly in cheeks. They are, after all, entertainers also. And sometimes talent alone won't get you to the top (or anywhere close to it). Danny Carey does seem to have quite an interest in the quantum physics/eastern meditational arts. Not a bad thing. Certainly he's one of the best rock drummers out there right now.

many don't realise what you have in Danny Carey...A very unique drummer, who will be talked about by (drummers and non drummers) for years and years after he is long gone...I can't wait for the new album.

g00ch said:
Very amazing drummer, if anyone can scan any articles in modern drummer or anything that would be excellent. Cannot wait for the new album, regardless of everyone freaking out about the title

He should be in modern drummer in next months issue

"In talking to Danny on Monday night (while he was in Australia), I got the distinct impression that the guys had done a LOT of interviews for the foreign press, which means... lots more album reviews. Also, prior to leaving on the promo tour, I know the band members did interviews/photo shoots for several magazines, including GUITAR WORLD, REVOLVER, and MODERN DRUMMER, so look for those on the news stands in the coming days (April?)."

May 2nd is the date, I was wondering if anyone has any tom combinations that Carey does transcribed, or could transcribe any, they are really hard to get just by ear, theres not a drum book for tool out or anything is there??

I love Danny's Drumming.

I watched the video in that first link, and synced up lateralis on winamp and with the media player volume down. hahah so awesome..

i've only recently became interested in tool just because i didn't think much of them at first, until i heard sober which was a few days ago. That song is awesome! Danny Carey is a great drummer and fits the music he plays too very well.

dahnny44 said:
does any one know any drum books he suggest to buy? is any of his stuff tabbed or written out? email me at [email protected]. thanx

I believe Danny regularly works out of the Wilcoxon book ("The All-American Drummer"). Other than that... There was a transcription of the solo from 46&2 in Modern Drummer some years ago (can't remember the exact issue, sorry!).

No doubt Danny is very skilled and plays very well for Tool's music, but I'm hearing differring opinions about whether this is their attempt at humor or in fact he/they might actually be taking themselves too seriously. I seem to be more inclined towards the latter especially based on this quote from his bio on DW:

Danny recommends as a device of protection and containment a thorough study and utilization of the underlying geometry of the Temple of Solomon for anyone purchasing their next record.

I'm actually considering perusing over that blueprint when I grab my next cup of joe. Seriously, how much devotion is expected from their followers?

This guy is simply amazing. His timing and the way he fills the pocket with his groove. He is very precise with his drumming what i mean by that is some drummers you hear it sounds a little ragged around the edges but Danny is very crisp with his accents and stick strokes spaced perfectly. Some drummers sound as if their fills were accidental not that they dont sound good, just not on Danny's level if anyone else gets what im trying to say. But I will admit I find him to be a little odd!!

No offense to you guys, because you all seem pretty level-headed since many of you are musicians yourselves, but I can't stand a lot of Tool fans. The example someone posted earlier about how a fan walked away from him because he lacked a certain "understanding" of Tool is ridiculous, yet an important example to be made. Anyone that can simply learn to love a band and their songs already develops their own "understanding". The Tool fanbase scares me. I skimmed through the "Toolnavy" forums a few days ago reading comments being made about their upcoming album, and I've gotta say, it was ridiculous, how seriously they take every little aspect of the band and any little thing related to them.

That being said... Danny Carey himself is extremely talented from a technical standpoint, but it only seems to be when he's in Tool. I've heard some of his work in other music and it just doesn't strike me as being anything nearly as unique. Which does say a lot about the chemistry between the four men in Tool, but I can't say it does much for me when I'm listening to see if I can figure out what all the fuss is about outside of Carey's elite drumming skills.

On the other hand, while his work is outstanding, a lot of Tool songs sound very very similar -- this includes Danny's style. And it gets boring after a while. It's almost as if this guy is geared more towards being a technical drummer over anything else, which has its strengths and weaknesses. I'm not knocking his skills at all, he's one of a kind and there's no debating that.

My favorite drummer from the 90's on is Jimmy Chamberlin. He doesn't sound like Danny Carey, but hey, he sounds like Jimmy Chamberlin, so that's good enough for me. I like Jimmy because he doesn't have to do math problems and study all kinds of obscure things to sound the way that he does -- though he still does invest a lot of time into figuring out many ways to integrate different kinds of jazzy rhythms on top of rock while keeping things fluid. Not to mention, be it the Pumpkins, Zwan, or his own Jimmy Chamberlin Complex, he stays on top of his drumming. Honestly, it's hard to compare Chamberlin and Carey anyway, because they're both so different yet amazing in their own way. Pert, Carey and Chamberlin are among the best out there right now in my opinion.

Opiate was raw and in your face
Undertow was refined but still rocked out...it was also a little darker
Aenima was revolutionary and it had a killer edge to it
Lateralus was deep and beautiful
Danny gets two huge thumbs up from me :D xoxoxox

Back