jojo mayer new pedal: VIDEO FROM MUSIKMESSE

225€/300$ (checked with a local Sonor dealer) for a single pedal that has NO separate beater angle and footboard angle adjustability? That's waaaaay over the top. I'd like to have that smooth, no friction footboard though...

Great: one post construction on the left side, smooth footboard, nice design

Good: round cam, strap drive, no excess weight (slim cam, small screws etc.)

Bad: folding mechanism (unnecessary and probably expensive, though it's cool and practical to some degree), mechanism for attaching to a drum hoop (should be much simpler and safer), durability is questionable

Ugly: no separate footboard angle and beater angle adjustability, beater shaft makes dents in a drumhead even when it's in its highest position, price

Coming late April, early May is what I've been told...

Re: Sonor Perfect Balance Pedal (JoJo Mayer)

If anyone has ever listened to Jojo in interviews, it's very obvious that he's very deliberate about what he does. He's a guy who searches for exactly what he wants and if he can't find it, he looks to his companies to help him develop these things. Case in point, the Omni cymbal. It is a cymbal that does exactly what Jojo was looking for. It's a ride in every way and it's a crash in every way. The ride is a bit dry without being as dry as the Fierce Ride and has a very strong bell, the crash is as bright as an 18" or 19" while the cymbal itself is 21" the ride can be laid into with the wash of the crash being totally controlled and never gets in the way. The crash speaks quickly and decays quickly to get out of the way of the ride. No, this isn't a thread about the Omni, but my point is that all of these things were what Jojo was looking for in a cymbal and he couldn't find it, so he had it made. If Jojo really could have found exactly what he was looking for in a pedal that was already made, he wouldn't have designed this one. Sonor didn't approach him to design a pedal, he approached them because he had very specific design ideas that would give him the pedal he wanted. That's what any of these guys who have signature stuff do. Dave Weckl and the Sabian Evolution series, Vinnie and the A Customs. Don't' dismiss this pedal and all of the information as marketing BS when it's clear that anything signature was the brainchild of an artist who was searching for something that they couldn't get any other way. Marketing has to happen in order to make profits off of something mass produced, but, in any situation where an artist has teamed up with their company to create something, it's not BS. Those infomercials that make ordinary items out to be inconvenient, like the metal wallet commercials that depict a normal wallet as the worst thing in life just so they can make their product look better, that's marketing BS.

Very well said, and you're dead on the money!

...in any situation where an artist has teamed up with their company to create something, it's not BS. Those infomercials that make ordinary items out to be inconvenient, like the metal wallet commercials that depict a normal wallet as the worst thing in life just so they can make their product look better, that's marketing BS.

The reality is the market will decide the fate of the JoJo pedal. If it doesn't sell, then SONOR will have to resign itself to using marketing BS like the infomercials.

I wouldn't sell the designers at SONOR (or any drum co) short when it comes to being artists.

Most drum gear is designed with input from a group/variety of performers. IMO its the best way to come up with the best product. Relying on one person's input makes the product too personal/specialized and limits sales. The price has to be jacked-up to cover the difference.

I doubt the PERFECT BALANCE pedal will outsell TAMAS IRON COBRA (pick any model) for instance, which is an example of a product designed with input from many artists, not just one specific artist.

Below is another pedal designed pretty much by one guy.

Attachments

• Picture 6.png
    Picture 6.png
    65.6 KB · Views: 3,204
Last edited:
So true Les.

The JoJo pedal has many things I find interesting, and I want to try one out.
Although, I pulled out my old Camco, and it feels better than all my other pedals and I started using it again after almost 20 years!
It's about the least "advanced" pedal out there that isn't a "budget" pedal (a new one is only $129 with a bag, and free ship all over the net).

Round cam, no real "resistance" to my foot, yet still feels solid. Very smooth, "speed of return" same as going forward....
Lots of stuff JoJo was talking about in his video on the new pedal.

I picked up another Camco on eBay for $33, so I'll have my usual "backup" on gigs.

$250 is the steet price on these, available for pre order now. And did anyone see Tama jacking up the price on the IC? Now they're $200 for the single. Ouch.

So true Les.

The JoJo pedal has many things I find interesting, and I want to try one out.
Although, I pulled out my old Camco, and it feels better than all my other pedals and I started using it again after almost 20 years!
It's about the least "advanced" pedal out there that isn't a "budget" pedal (a new one is only $129 with a bag, and free ship all over the net).

Round cam, no real "resistance" to my foot, yet still feels solid. Very smooth, "speed of return" same as going forward....
Lots of stuff JoJo was talking about in his video on the new pedal.

I picked up another Camco on eBay for $33, so I'll have my usual "backup" on gigs.

I'm very curious too. I have a liking of 'old-style' pedals and by that I mean pedals with a light feel, a relatively light build and a simple action without too many complex parts. I like the hoop attachment idea although I could do without that.

Just yesterday I pulled apart my old Pearl P-100 double and converted the slave into a single. I've played a DW5000 for years but sometimes try out my other pedals for the sake of practice and to not get too reliant on the action of one pedal, even though they're all set up much the same. I then went and ordered some straps to convert the pedal into a strap drive.

One of my biggest selling regrets was selling my old P-100 single. That was a great, great pedal and criminally underrated. I wish they still made it because I'd go and buy another one. It was simple, light, reliable, had a good action and was very easy to maintain. I like my DW5000 a lot but it's a little heavy.

Being a total Jojo fanboy, I'm intrigued. I want to try one and see how it feels. I really like the smooth foot board as I often play in socks and bear foot.

I'm pretty happy with my speed cobra right now but if I like this better I'll totally upgrade.

There's quite a lot of negativity here that I don't really understand.

You try the pedal, some may like it, some may not. Those that like then need to consider if they want it for the price.

Simples.

Davo

They have a couple coming to the shop, and one of the guys that works there is getting one for sure.
They said it was $249.

Getting a call when they arrive.

Not as much money as I thought it might be.
Kind of expected with Sonor prices here, so I'm not surprised....but it's still $249...

This seems to be the perfect pedal for me. Any other pedals that doesn't have this "catapult feeling" to 'em ?

I just saw this video tonight and like others here, I'm intrigued. That catapult feeling Jojo talks about is true - but I don't think I know what it's like to feel otherwise. That catapult feeling helps me in my groove for the music. I'm wondering what it would be like to have something that basically doesn't get in the way of translating what your foot wants to the bass drum.

I just went back to a strap pedal (Iron Cobra) and it does feel different from the chain, and I know for sure there is a catapult type of feeling to it. I may have to try the Jojo pedal, $250 is about average (hell, Tama is charging $200 for a single Iron Cobra these days, and the Trick I think is still over-priced - and the venerable DW9000 is almost $300). I'm surprised Sonor isn't charging more, they certainly could, and people would still buy it. Maybe I'll pre-order one. I'll take any help I can get, even if all I do is 1 & 3 on the bass drum, and 2 & 4 on the snare drum :)

I'm really interested in trying this pedal out: if it does what is says it does, it will be the perfect pedal for me.

Though I might put the Trick Pro V-1 beater on it, for the sake of "feel" when on another drum.

And I will admit, the hoop attachment mechanism here does have me concerned... I may end up being the guy that props up the pedal BEFORE attaching to a drum and just tighten the clamp, like I would any other pedal.

I've had the pedal for two weeks. It took some time to get use to it coming from a Speed King but its well worth it. This is a quality built pedal. I think the best way to describe what it feels like to play a pedal without the catapult feel is that it feels like your playing with no pedal. Again, I'm still getting use to it but every now and then when I'm deep in the pocket I forget I'm using a pedal, it just feels like the foot and the pedal are one. Very cool in my opinion. I do think the stem may be short for a 26 kick, I'll know when my new kit comes in next month. For now some photos.

Attachments

• 204585_3789819219407_1138660038_o.jpg
    204585_3789819219407_1138660038_o.jpg
    587.4 KB · Views: 1,466
  • 337034_3789813179256_1678480002_o.jpg
    337034_3789813179256_1678480002_o.jpg
    632.5 KB · Views: 1,439
  • 191445_3805909981666_173358896_o.jpg
    191445_3805909981666_173358896_o.jpg
    516.1 KB · Views: 1,334
  • 242311_3805900861438_378392876_o.jpg
    242311_3805900861438_378392876_o.jpg
    668.4 KB · Views: 1,852
I just bought the pedal today. I love it. It feels better than any other pedal I've tried for heel down playing and heel down doubles. I have not tried it yet with my rock playing....but even if it only works for my jazz playing, it was well worth buying, because it is the smoothest feeling pedal I've ever played. You can read more in my review here:

http://bit.ly/Ro7xEf

Once I try it out in a rock setting, I will post an update.....

OK...update. I don't think this is the pedal for slammin' rock. I tried it out with my rock band and I didn't like it. I don't think it's meant to be the right pedal for that music, however.

I DO think it is the best feeling, smoothest pedal EVER for heel down jazz playing however....
MF

OK...update. I don't think this is the pedal for slammin' rock. I tried it out with my rock band and I didn't like it. I don't think it's meant to be the right pedal for that music, however.

I DO think it is the best feeling, smoothest pedal EVER for heel down jazz playing however....
MF

What! Its no good for rock!!??

Not worth the money then.

My experience is that it does work in a rock and roll environment. By rock and roll I mean the classic stuff, Zeppelin, Who, Stones etc (my favorite cover tunes). I did find it took a few weeks to get use to the feel but as I adjusted to the pedal the pedal seemed to help me with my technique. Now I find I can feather the bass drum as well as lay into some Bonham style triplets with equal ease. At times when I'm deep in the pocket it feels like there is no pedal. Strange but I love it.

Back