Joey Jordison

I don't like either Slipknot or Joey jordison so i might be little prejudiced here, but I think joey jordison is a tasteless drummer. i was forced to watch some of his solos on Youtube because apparently the guitarist in my band is a fan of slipknot. they sucked. all of his solos are bunch of fast bass drum work and some fast snares thrown in.. most boring solos ever. even Tommy Lee solo will be better.

that said, now i'm gonna get flamed by hardcore slipknot fans.

I don't like either Slipknot or Joey jordison so i might be little prejudiced here, but I think joey jordison is a tasteless drummer.

Could you elaborate a little more please? Is your point of view based strictly on his solo performances? Please give a little more meat to your opinon cuz I am curious about what it is spicifically that helps you to think that he is a "tasteless drummer."

Last edited:
Your just angry cause you use Mapex,I would be too, cause MAPEX DRUMS SUCK! The only music they are good for is jazz and funk,period.

You're completly wrong. I play a lot of Slipknot songs with my Mapex drum set and it sounds amazing. Just beacuse a lot of metal drummers use Tama or Pearl it doesn't mean that a Mapex won't sound as good as them. Aquiles Priester uses a Mapex and it really sounds good.

it doesnt matter what brand of kit it is, a drum kit can be tuned to suit any genre, thought that was common knowledge

Sorry to be off topic here but since when were Mapex drums good for jazz and funk...period? They started out as a rock drum brand and that is still mainly what they are used for. They're good drums.

Anyway, I think Joey is good at what he plays. He doesn't stand out as anything special nor as bad as so many seem to think. He's just a good metal player that has had a bit too much publicity thrown his way and, of course, where there is publicity, there is criticism.

As far as his soloing goes, if he didn't play big, fast double bass ridden solos he wouldn't be a very good metal player as that is exactly what is wanted for metal drumming. He plays what the music calls for.

Slipknot has plenty of dynamic to their music, which can be pretty tough to play. Until you listen to every part of every song then you can't say whether he sucks or not, because odds are you missed something. I'll admit, I can feel a headache coming on if I hear too much jordison, but that's my taste; he's a very talented drummer with hordes of die-hard fans across the globe. In my mind, thats success... or am I missing something here? He's also a guitar player (shreds, in fact) for other bands, i.e. the Murder Dolls. Just FYI

I hear Shawn and Chris (the two percussionists) aren't even mic'd up for most of the live concerts, just show really. But if you listen to some older songs you can hear them, especialy in Scissors - Slipknot.

..well,....actually,....if those to guys are gone,...joey would still not be better,...cause they have nothing to do with him in the first place....those two guys,.even though they leave the band,.Joey would still be performing the same,...do you get it???..i hope so...Ü....

..and those two guys,.they help with the vocals and,..they just do the hittin of those barrels (lolxx i dont know what to call those things) for additional drumlike sounds...and doing stunts and other freaky stuff....so,..it would be the same even if they leave..

i think it wouldn't make a difference if those other dudes weren't there. especialy that dude hitting a beer keg with a baseball bat, he is pointless. but it is fun to watch them jump in the crowd and stuff. it does add to the entertainment aspect but not the musical aspect.

casey♥joeyjordison;422296 said:
..well,....actually,....if those to guys are gone,...joey would still not be better,...cause they have nothing to do with him in the first place....those two guys,.even though they leave the band,.Joey would still be performing the same,...do you get it???..i hope so...Ü....

..and those two guys,.they help with the vocals and,..they just do the hittin of those barrels (lolxx i dont know what to call those things) for additional drumlike sounds...and doing stunts and other freaky stuff....so,..it would be the same even if they leave..

Sorry, but I couldn't really understand that. :D
Joey's pretty cool, he's a bit of a flash git, overplaying a few times, but I rate his speed.

Sorry, but I couldn't really understand that. :D
Joey's pretty cool, he's a bit of a flash git, overplaying a few times, but I rate his speed.

...oooohh...sorry,.my english is kinda bad..what i was trying to say is....eventhough those two percussionists leave the band,.still nothing's going to change with joey..

His speed, precision and technical ability are amazing, imo. The only Slipknot CD I have is The Subliminal Verses, so I'm basing my opinion mostly on that. As far as style goes, what he plays fits the band's sound. Sometimes he seems a little dry/mechanical, to me: fast, energetic and precise, but not much groove.

He is highly respectable as a drummer, at the very least. I can see why he has so many fans.

I personaly don't care for him at all.
The only thing decent on him is his foot speed.
But uhh yeah...Dave Makintosh beats him by far!

Actually I live in Iowa, and a year or 2 ago I was at the local guitar center and joey was in there playing his own signature kit that they had set up for sale
i wouldnt touch any drumset in there while he was there, i was too intimidated

it was wild.

Hey guys
Just wondering about what sort of tuning i could use to get Joey Jordisons sound on toms?
Does he have both bottom and top heads tuned low , or one tuned higher than the other etc?
I know i won't be able to mimic his exact sound , but id like to get close :)
Thanks alot

Infact even those this is an old thread it wouldnt make a difference. They are just backround noises like the dumpsters and stuff just little backup. Infact they are backup percusionists and thank you ihatesticktricks for pointing out that he is extremely over rated! Also i cant stand it when my friends are like dude did u see travis barker playing dude he is the fastest and most insane drummer ever! it just drives me crazy. for speed look at george kollias he has true talent not only in speed but creativity!

Hey guys , i know you can't mimic this guys sound exactly. But how would you tune toms to sound like his? Is it batter head very low or what?
Thanks alot.

Back