Drum finish professional

Thunder 42

Silver Member
I could use some rudder - looking for a reputable quality finish shop in mid-Atlantic DC/MD/VA area. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm building a Starclassic Limited Quilted Mocha Burst 4 piece - a family out of orphans. The drums are high gloss - rack toms are mint, and a brand new kick - these (3) pieces are natural to black burst finish. I found a brand new FT today in natural finish, and would like to have it re-finished with black burst if it can be done within a decent price point (avoiding shipping if at all possible).

Any suggestions? Greatly appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:
Doug, a good automotive paint shop could do that for you.
I've heard good reviews of Bowie Custom Drums finishing work. I believe they are in Baltimore.

Cool, Thunder. Keep us in the loop on this. Oh, and, a before and after snap when all is said and done. :)

Good suggestion - will check Bowie Drums out and will check with a few body shops too... Will do the pics.

A "safer" and cheaper approach would be to wrap it rather than refinish it. I looked up the quilted mocha burst finish, and found something that seems to be pretty close, if not very close. They also do custom wraps, so they may be able to match your finish if this one isn't spot on. But for a floor tom, it probably doesn't need to be an exact match since it's not as visible.

http://www.bumwrapdrumco.com/drum-wrap-designs/wood-fades/bubinga-fade/

A "safer" and cheaper approach would be to wrap it rather than refinish it. I looked up the quilted mocha burst finish, and found something that seems to be pretty close, if not very close. They also do custom wraps, so they may be able to match your finish if this one isn't spot on. But for a floor tom, it probably doesn't need to be an exact match since it's not as visible.

I was going to suggest this company too. They do not charge extra for custom wrap.

This just this opened up very good options for me. Many thanks.

I was getting some auto body work done the other week, and one of the techs was painting a drum kit with some pretty cool designs! I like woodgrain myself, but I guess he gets a lot of work from Metal bands that want custom graphics on their drums.

It might be worth checking with some local auto body/paint places, especially in more creative neighborhoods.

I was getting some auto body work done the other week, and one of the techs was painting a drum kit with some pretty cool designs! I like woodgrain myself, but I guess he gets a lot of work from Metal bands that want custom graphics on their drums.

It might be worth checking with some local auto body/paint places, especially in more creative neighborhoods.
Many thanks for this.

Back