Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: INTRODUCTIONS - Please use this thread to introduce yourself

Hi all,

I'm Jules, 36 yrs old from the land downunder. I've been around drums, muso's and musical instruments virtually my whole life, due to having a father who was an active drummer throughout the 60's, 70's and 80's. Although there was always a drum to tinker around on, i started seriously getting involved in the instrument at around 15 or 16 and from 18/19 worked pretty regularly up until about 5 or 6 years ago. Marriage, family etc put me on a hiatus until recently when the fires started to burn again. I've missed muso's and muso talk and it's high time I re-immersed myself. Although not currently playing in a band situation I hope to rectify this soon and get back to doing what I love. I've been lurking this site (and several others) for about a month or so now and decided it was time to take the plunge and register (finally!!!). I have been so impressed with this site specifically as opposed to most of the others I've visited. The amount of knowledge, valuable information, tips etc etc I've been exposed to since starting to view it has been staggering. I look forward to continuing to expose myself to the fountain of knowledge that is so easily accessible here and perhaps being able to contribute and share some of my own from time to time. I just wanted to congratulate you all on making this a stand out site that I felt I wanted to join and be a part of.

Cheers.

Hi everyone,

Just want to join the group and contribute what I can. I started playing guitar when I was a teen. Later I learned to play bass. Then I learned keyboards and now I am learning drums.

It seems the drummers get all the chicks so I am looking forward to getting good.

Hello!

I'm Kieran.
I'm originally a guitarist of about 9 years, but the last 2 years or so
I've been getting a grip on drums. I got my first kit in march. Sonor
Force 1007. It may not be much, but I love it all the same:)

I have pretty specific music tastes, although they span a few genres.
To name a few, Meshuggah, ISIS, Biffy Clyro, Foals and Zappa.
More besides!

My favourite drummers;
Tomas Haake
Jojo Mayer
Mike Mangini
Virgil Donati
Elliot hoffman

It's good to be a part fo the drummerworld family.

Later

real name.....Jeff
age......35
how long been playing.......7 months
origin of user name......I play Pearl Drums and i also race as a hobby. My car number is 18 so that's how PD18 came about.
top 5 drummers........Nicko McBrain, Neal Peart, Chad Smith, Daniel Adair, Ray Luzier
make of drumkit......Pearl Forum
make of cymbal......Sabian B8 for now. Upgradeing very soon.
where do you practice.......Home
are you in a band/s.........No
covers or originals......n/a
what style of music..........I'm mostley into Classic Rock/Rock and Metal. I hate Country and Rap.
favourite take out food.......Chinese
country...........USA
one really odd fact about yourself......n/a
how did you start drumming..........It's been a life long dream to learn to play drums. When i was younger i was a bit wild and never really got around to it. Now i've settled down and i'm trying very hard to learn all i can and be as good a drummer as i can.

Hey everybody, I'm new here so I figured I'd give you all some information about myself.

My real name is Tom, I am 35 years old (well, close enough at least), and have been a drummer for about 1 month now (guitars for 20 years now). My user name is actually an old character name from an old RPG I used to play in high school. I believe it is just a weapon name spelled backwards, but I have yet to find anything about Katyn's in medival weaponry.

Back to music..

I am a metal head by nature, but hold an appreciation for all music, except rap. Classic Rock and Blues are my two favs outside the world of mehtul.

My current drum kit consists of a practice pad, and about 4 old college textbooks setup on a makeshift table for me to practice on until I get my first kit. My old 1500+ page Physical Chemistry book doubles as a floor tom. So I guess that would make my current kit manufacturer Scholar's Press.. They also make my cymbals. Before the end of the year I plan on getting either a Pearl Vision VBX or Yamaha Stage Custom kit, and a pack of Sabian B8 cymbals to get me going.

My influences are rather varied. My favorite drummers are (in no particular order): Phil Collins, Neal Peart, Lars Ulrich, Dave Lombardo, Igor Cavalera, and Mike Portnoy. There's more, but I usually just identify with band names than member names for my influences. Those are the names that stick out for me.

Anyway, I look forward to many a fine discusisons with all of you!

Hello ,

I'm Kristof Michiels, 27 years into my lifespan (and hopely lots of years ahead) !
My life in Belgium has all I need: good job (making money), perfect hobby (spending money) and all I dont' need (governement issues,... we are famous for that). My nickname has nothing to do with my life, its just a crazy idea I had years ago for nickname ... and I kept using it ;-) !

Anyway, drums !!!

I'm looking forward to meet more drummers (after I joined the PDF) and to be part of the biggest community on the web today.
I started with music a long time ago (since my 12th) playing the piano first. During my Metallica years I made the switch to guitar, however acoustic guitar didn't do it for me. I always was amazed by the energy that drummers (particulary rock-drummers) had ... the best way to feel the music !
So in 2003 (somewhere) I picked up my 1st set of drums (Mapex Mars series) and played proudly for a couple of months (breaking the one head after the other). After a while not only heads get broken (pedal and cymbalstand gave a snick) and I thought it would be a clever idea to look for a better set.

I made it to another store and came home with a Tama Rockstar 5 piece ... and its still the set I'm using today. There has been lots of things improved on both the set and me over the years: the kit did get better heads,cymbals and snares, and I have now my 4 year into drumming lessons !

Top 5 drummers: there's not really a 'best' drummer to me, but there are lots of influenses for me:

Belgium drummers: Davy Deckmijn (my teacher), Mario Goossens (Davy's teacher), Michael Schack, ...

International: Lars Ulrich (actually made me into drumming), John Tempesta, Mike Portnoy, Charlie Beanté, Dave Lombardo, Brad Wilk, ... , Gavin Harrison, Jojo Mayer, Benny Grebb, Thomas Lang, ...

Specs on my kit: later :p

Practice: @ home and bands

Bands: 3

Styles: I like a bit of everything (except maybe country)

Take out food: Belgium frites !!!

Long story I see now ... and not even close :p !

If you guys have any questions, I always take my time to answer ;-).

Have a nice day (or night),

Kristof

Hello all, new to drum forums in general, but have been playing now for about 20 years (off and on, considering 8 years spent in the military). I've recently gotten back into the swing of things, put together a new band back in my hometown and we have been writing songs. I guess there seemed to be a general format to follow with this introduction thread, so here goes...

real name.....Rob
age......35
how long been playing.......20 years
origin of user name......was in the Navy - Halon is a fire extinguishing agent used on ships, 451 degrees is the average temperature at which general combustibles (paper, etc.) will spontaneously ignite with no external spark or flame.
top 5 drummers........Danny Carey, John Bonham, Chris Pennie, Stewart Copeland, Dave Lombardo, Keith Moon, and Animal (from the Muppets) - okay that's more than 5
make of drumkit......Gretsch Catlina Series (6 piece)
make of cymbal......Sabian B8's mostly - likely upgrade to AA's soon when I have the $$
where do you practice.......Band Practice space
are you in a band/s.........Yes
covers or originals......Originals
what style of music..........Dark and heavy. Definitely of metal origins, but I like to incorporate other styles that don't fit the typical pattern, whether it's blues, world beat, tribal, jazz, you name it. Basically anything goes.
favourite take out food.......Thai
country...........USA
one really odd fact about yourself......There's a lot of odd facts about me - hard to name just one!
how did you start drumming..........It's my one true passion. I remember as a young kid, arranging my grandmother's pots and pans around me in a semi-circle trying to imitate the drums I saw on TV (I was maybe 4 or 5?), and using the cardboard inserts from those old-school coat hangers as drum sticks and whacking away on these pots and pans. Used to drive my grandparents crazy. Finally got a beat up old used kit from a kid down the street when I was 15, and have been playing ever since.

Name: Thord N.

I've been playing for 7 years. I'm mostly self-learned(with all It's ups and downs).
Currently playing in Syncosis. A Jazz/fusion/rock/funk/electronica band.

My influences are: Vinnie Colaiuta, Benny Greb, Jojo Mayer, Marco Minnemann, Steve Gadd, Damien Schmitt, Dennis Chambers and Dave Weckl.

My kit: 80's Gretsch USA Costum.
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51013

My playing: Check my posts on the playing consolidation thread(these are practices to playalongs though and not own produced material)
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?p=615451#post615451

real name - Chris
age - 48
how long been playing - 15 years
origin of user name - My biggest influence on the world is on my kids. The rest is gravy.
top 5 drummers - John Bonham, Ian Paice, Jeff Porcaro, Steve Smith, Larry Mullen Jr.
make of drumkit - Sonor (Force 3000, Force 2001, Swinger)
make of cymbal - Paiste
where do you practice - I have a kit setup in my home office. It's great.... when I get off the phone with someone I can walk 15 feet and take out my frustrations.
are you in a band/s - yes, currently playing bass though (???)
covers or originals - mix
what style of music - Rock/Jazz Fusion
favourite take out food - Subway
country - U.S.A.
one really odd fact about yourself - color blind Canadian. (not sure that's really odd but...)
how did you start drumming - My original instrument was guitar (30 years) and when my kids were little I decided to get as many instruments around as possible just for them to experiment with and get the music blood flowing. So I got this drumset for free from a guy who wanted to get it out of his basement. So after I got it set up properly (another story), I started to mess around and got hooked. Drums quickly became my "first" instrument and still is to this day...with bass second and guitar now third.

didn't see this the first time!
Here we go again.

how long been playing: about 2 years, had my own kit around 6 months
origin of user name? it's my nickname. Dull!
top 6 drummers? Virgil Donati
Jojo Mayer
Tomas haake
Elliot Hoffman
Mike mangini
Aaron Harris
make of drumkit? Sonor force 1007 studio (natural finish)
make of cymbal? Sabien B8s and a Meinl classic 14" crash
where do you practice? my bedroom
are you in a band/s? Nope. Goddamn.
favourite take out food? Chinese or Mexican
country? Ireland
one really odd fact about yourself? I'm a beatboxer. and a guitarist. CRAZY!
how did you start drumming? I did 3 years of music in college, so i did some drumming
for college bands.

Hello Everyone,

Well,I am stop here to say big HELLO to each and every member of this community. My name is Martin from California want to share my ideas and knowledge with others regarding general topics.I am happy if some one from you want to communicate with me on any issue.

Thanks

Hello Everyone,

Well,I am stop here to say big HELLO to each and every member of this community. My name is Martin from California want to share my ideas and knowledge with others regarding general topics.I am happy if some one from you want to communicate with me on any issue.

Thanks
Welcome martin! Glad to have you aboard!

Hey there chaps, this would seem to be the best place for a first post.

real name? Gary McGowan
age? 23
how long been playing? 9 months
origin of user name? It came from a comic many moons ago and sort of stuck as a nickname for some reason
top 5 drummers? Peart, Rich, Mayer, Jorma Vik annnd John Bonham of course.
make of drumkit?Mapex/Roland
make of cymbal?Paiste
where do you practice?My Bedroom!
are you in a band/s?I am not, I do not believe I am ready for that just yet.
covers or originals?n/a
what style of music?I have a huge eclectic taste, but tend to gravitate toward heavier rock and indie.
favourite take out food?Pizza
country?Sweden
one really odd fact about yourself?I am very rarely able take anything too seriously. Its a blessing and a curse.
how did you start drumming? A love of music and more recently an obsession with listening to each instrument individually when listening to music, I came to realise I love the musical value of the Drums. And then I said. I want to do that.

Hi guys my name is Freddie Thomas i am 16 years old I live in Cleethorpes England. I dont yet have a drum kit but I am planning on buying one this week I have always had a huge interest in music and I just love listening to the drumming on songs such as Almost Easy, Toxicity and Scream Aim Fire in particular. I have been looking around and I have found what I think to be a good reasonable price drum kit.

Here is the link
http://www.themusicking.co.uk/devil-drums-full-sized-5-piece-drum-kit-blue
If somebody could tell me if they agree that it is a good starter kit aswel that would be great. I also plan on buying Evans Emad Bass drum heads when I get some money.

Hi guys
Name: Rich
Time playing drums: 8 years
Shellst: Tama efx superstar 14" snare 10" + 14" toms and 22" bass
Hardware: Mapex hi hat stand, Tama cymbal stands, Pearl P902 double bass pedal
Cymbals: pro sonix hats, 16" crash and 20" ride 18" Zildjian Z custom projection crash (the beast)

Ciao a tutti! Hi everybody!

Played for how many years: from september 2009
Music style: Interested in everything, but not in too sad music, of course...!
favourite food: Pasta...
Live in: Italy
Drum kit: Pintech
Favourite band: Too many...and everyday i change! But i like bands whose music make us feel free... ;)
Favourite drummers: Buddy Rich, but i' m not into this yet... xD
Band name: No band 'til now...
Drumsticks: broken...have to buy them!
How Did i start dumming: I like feeling rythm...obvious...
Favourite website: well...i don't have one...!

real name? Miguel Rodriguez
age? 36! ugh
how long been playing? 18 years
origin of user name? Zildjian Cymbals!
top 5 drummers? Dave Weckl, Bernard Purdie, Jo Jo Mayer, Louie Belson, George Kolias
make of drumkit? Mapex Orion Classic/ Pearl Masters Custom
make of cymbal? Zildjian/ Paiste / Sabian
where do you practice? At home / LA. Downtown Rehearsal
are you in a band/s? Yes, 3, Stella's Notch, Random Ninjas, Elson and the Soul Barkada
covers or originals? both
what style of music? Metal, Rock, R&B
favourite take out food? Ono Hawaiian BBQ.
country? USA
one really odd fact about yourself? Self taught
how did you start drumming? Since I was 5 but didn't really get into it until Freshman year of High School. Played mostly trumpet.

Name: Steven

What is my quest: Hmm, i dunno, play the drums, race cars on a road course... chase my lovely wife around the room 'til i catch her...

How long been playing? 20 years or so
Origin of user name? The name of my upcoming album
Top 5 drummers? Just five huh? Max Roach, Dave Weckl, Bill Bruford, Terry Bozzio and guess i had better put Neil Peart here huh (i' rather put Lionel Hampton tho).
Make of drumkit? Tama
Make of cymbal? Paiste and Sabian
Where do you practice? Livingroom
Are you in a band/s? Naaa, been offered a lot recently tho.
Covers or originals? Originals
What style of music? What style are you offering :) Traditional, historic, locational, progressive, avant-garde...
Country? Worldwide

As for me, as a longtime percussionist and drummer i could not begin to try and count the hours and playing with bands, playing along with commercially-available music and devising my own rudiments techniques in concert with the original 26 all classically-trained drummers are taught. Began playing in the early 70's. In my teens i learned how to compose, transpose and arrange. During late teens i was in front of a few recording labels in New York City after years of playing live yet my life was a bit, how shall i say this, fragmented (do the math, drummer... 1980's.... Miami). After a ten year hiatus beginning in my mid-20's, a fellow drummer sent me a drumset in my mid-30's and my love once again flourished. It evolved from a simple acoustic set to the latest and greatest Roland electronic set due to noise constraints (blasted neighbors and their complaints LOL). Now with a new home with excellent acoustic space came the opportunity to once again go acoustic.

PS: If anyone here has a line on a complete working set of Simmons SDX e-mail me. Thx.

Last edited:

Hi everyone
real name? Benny, my work mates call me big ted,
age? 43
how long been playing? 2years
origin of user name? it's an austrelian thing for a john williamson song
top 5 drummers? Dave Grohl, Cam (crackers) Roach, John Dolmayan, taylor Hawkins and definitely Phil Rudd
make of drumkit? mapex and a roland
make of cymbal? Zildjian
where do you practice? out in the shed, but the roland is the house.
are you in a band/s? no
covers or originals?
what style of music? garage rock, grunge
favourite take out food? Nandos chicken
country? Australia
how did you start drumming? My youngest daughter was in a drumming program at school called drum monkeys, her teacher said she should go to a free rudiments class at our local drum shop. so i took her but she wouldn't join in unless i did. so to all my neighbours it's my daughters fault. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back