Drum heads too small for drum

donothorpe

I have an 8" Gretsch tom that I love. However the diameter of the shell is 8 1/16" and Remo and Evans heads won't fit it -- they are much too tight. I called Aquarian about their American Vintage heads, which are a little larger, but they don't make one to fit an 8" drum. I would like to re-wrap this drum in red sparkle, but that would even make the problem worse. I also have an old vintage Trixon 8" concert tom that has the same oversize measurements. Is there a head manufacturer that caters to the old oversize drum shells? I don't want to get some calfskin heads to put on a larger wood hoop, and I don't know where to get them either. Maybe someone has some old heads that measure a little larger than 8" that they will sell me. Does anyone have suggestions? Thanks.

What series is your 8" tom? I believe when you re-wrap a shell, the old wrap is first removed, so the problem shouldn't get worse unless the new wrap is thicker.

Dennis

Thanks Dennis, but unfortunately the drum is a natural finish (no wrap) and the added wrap just makes it more difficult. Normal heads don't even fit the un-wrapped shell. I have an old Gretsch Permatone head that just barely fits, but it is really tight.

If you are going to re-wrap the shell anyway, would it be possible to sand down the outside of the shell?

Have you tried any pre-international heads? I know that a lot of older Premier kits have similar problems because the shells weren't made to quite the 'standard' size. Remo make pre-international heads so you should be able to pick one up and see if that solves your problem.

Back