jazz legacy heads

warrier1

Checking out Steve Smith videos on his drummerworld site, on the video he plays in Cleveland, he has some black heads on the toms, was wondering if anybody new what kind they were.

Black Suede Ambassadors and Emperors! These are amazing heads: I use a BS Emperor on a snare drum, and the thing sounds beautiful.

Suede heads sound different than the regular coated's, but he's in Remo ads right now with Black Dot heads on his toms.

It's not just a pic on a random kit, it's listing the heads on each drum (snare, kick etc..) and the toms have, & list Black Dots as his batter choice.

I guess after 30 years he's due for a change haha!

Suede heads sound different than the regular coated's, but he's in Remo ads right now with Black Dot heads on his toms.

It's not just a pic on a random kit, it's listing the heads on each drum (snare, kick etc..) and the toms have, & list Black Dots as his batter choice.

I guess after 30 years he's due for a change haha!

His Remo artist page still says Ambassador as does his web page. Where are those ads? As for a change, maybe, but is he promoting a particular head or simply "Remo" in those ads.

I saw the black dot on the recent ones, i was checking out the video and saw the black heads, just curious, i have coated ambs now looking for something different. The local GC has only emperors in the black suede, has anybody tried these on the toms?

I saw the black dot on the recent ones, i was checking out the video and saw the black heads, just curious, i have coated ambs now looking for something different. The local GC has only emperors in the black suede, has anybody tried these on the toms?

I have had the white suede ambassadors on my birch kit for a year or more now. They resonate more like a clear head with the warmer tone of a coated head.

His Remo artist page still says Ambassador as does his web page. Where are those ads? As for a change, maybe, but is he promoting a particular head or simply "Remo" in those ads.

I saw it in the new Modern Drummer or DRUM! I'd scan and paste but it's too much of a pain.

It lists his head "choice" as the Black Dot, so I don't think he's just promoting Remo.

Here is a vid. About halfway through he starts playing the big kit with black dots. Granted its a room mic and not a studio setup but I think I prefer the ambassadors. I suspect He likes them because you get a tighter more controlled sound from the center and get a more ringy tone playing off the dot. He loves getting a lot of different things from a drum. I have loved his sound over the last 10 years or so but I think I will be sticking with ambassadors myself. I do love the sound of the snare with the fiberskin head. I think he is using a diplomat weight as well based on some other vids ofhis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRfidbg53A4

Back