Small cars that fit drums???

matthew

unfortunately I need a new car, fast. with gigs this weekend and life going full speed ahead (and a dead car), I need some advice.

If you have a small car that fits drums into please reply.

By the way, I'm looking to buy a 3 door hatchback, for fuel efficiency and cheapness. I've got a Hyundai Excel 3 door hatch that fits drums, passengers, and guitars and stuff in easy (it's incredible).

thanks!

I drive an 03 olds alero and it works perfect for my kit. I have a 7 piece pearl with the 3 sectioned rack and I can fit everything and my girlfriend comfortably. I just simply suggest get a 4 door car of some sort and practice up on tetris...that's what we poor people without escalades hafta do. :)

I think the more appropriate question is "Drum kits that fit small cars?"

What sizes are your drums? There's a BIG difference between trying to buy a car for a 4-piece bop kit and a 22-piece metal kit with rack system. If it's a "regular" kit (4 or 5 piece with stands), then just about any hatchback or 4-door would work. I can fit a 6-piece kit into my wife's '91 Honda Civic, but if I had a bulky hardware case or a 26" bass drum, it wouldn't work. Heck, a Gremlin might even work...

unfortunately I need a new car, fast. with gigs this weekend and life going full speed ahead (and a dead car), I need some advice.

By the way, I'm looking to buy a 3 door hatchback, for fuel efficiency and cheapness. I've got a Hyundai Excel 3 door hatch that fits drums, passengers, and guitars and stuff in easy (it's incredible).

thanks!

Honda Fit.

4 doors and a hatch back; can go like 3 doors and a hatchback...

The back seats fold down flat and open up a huge space. They also fold up to leave a tall space.

7.jpg

22" bass in the front seat. Toms in the back seat. Everything else in the trunk. 3-series.

Volkswagen Polo FTW!

I've always managed to get all my hardware and 5 piece kit in the back with the back passenger seats folded down with room for a passenger or extra gear if needed at the front.

Last edited:
Hyundai-Getz-Prime-1.5-GVS-CRDi.jpg

I'm going with this. test drove to my house and put the drums in. incredible but would you believe I fit my drums in there easy.

and these are my drums

l_9e85ea2abf8943e8853f1e47e1d5c823.jpg

takes up both back seats though, so 1 driver and 1 passenger, whereas my old hyundai excel could also get one extra passenger in.

so im impressed...

just thought id contribute to the thread incase any one else finds this relevant in the future

thanks!

I think you can consider VW polo, its a good car with good space.

Mine is white.
It fits a standard 5 piece, 4 cymbals, 4 stands, 2 foot amp, bass, a second person, some sheets of wood, a tarp, 12 boxes of pistol ammo, a milk crate, and a Scarface costume.

Attachments

• 800px-%2791-%2793_Buick_Century_Sedan.jpg
    800px-%2791-%2793_Buick_Century_Sedan.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 2,686
My mother has an early 2000's Hyundai Accent, I've used it for gigs a couple times, always impressed with the amount of space.

I did a gig last Friday and used a Nissan Versa, was not impressed, (although we did get a kit, 3 guitars, a 4x10 combo and 3 guys in there, I don't take no for an answer, a tetris master) - we usually take a mates Ford Focus which I've always been amazed with how much we can pack in there.

Hatchbacks are great, folding seats are a must.

I have an '06 Scion XA and can fit my 5 piece and gear in it perfectly. The car is a hatch back and the backseats fold down.

My moms 2005 Toyota Matrix fits my 5-piece, rack and cymbals all nice and snug :) i think we even had 3 people in the car too!

Back in the 90's I had an 89 Ford Thunderbird. It's not the smallest car out there but I was always able to get my 6 piece kit in there as well as an Orange half stack, an acoustic and two electric guitars, me and our singer. We had to commute back and forth between Omaha and Lincoln because the other half of our band lived there.
Ever since then I've had a mini van. I'm on my third one. Some people are too cool for a mini van but I drive mine with pride. It's a comfortable vehicle for a big guy and I don't have to be a master Tetris player (although I am) to get my gear loaded up. I can still fit me and 3 others comfortably with all of my drums in the back. All of this with a clear line of sight out the back window. It only gets 20 miles to the gallon, so there is a trade off.

I gigged for years in a little Ford fiesta diesel. My 5 piece Tama kit I had at the time used to just fit in its cases with the rear seat folded forward...

I have a 2009 honda fit and it fits my whole set and i still have the passenger seat open. It also gets 36 highway mpg, and although its just a 4 cylinder engine it has some power

I have a PT Cruiser and I can fit in a six-piece set, two hardware cases, percussion, and a cymbal case - all in hard cases, which take up more room. If I remove the rear seats, I can fit in two PA speakers and a stand bag. And still get a passenger in the front seat.

Back