Shoes

leoyucht

Hello all

I was just curious about how the type of shoes you wear (or any piece of apparel for that matter) affects your playing. I pretty much solely (pun intended) play in converse - I own all black converse for dressy gigs. I have for super classy events (i.e. opening for Eliane Elyas), worn dress shoes, but I find I can't play the same as I normally do.

I was curious for you all what types of shoes you wear/would recommend to me. I am looking for something that is dressy. I may head over to wal-mart and just pick up a really cheap thin pair of shoes that simulate converse.

Thanks,
LY

Whatever's on my feet that day. I really don't think there's any reason to overthink shoes. I mean, Gene Coglan wears heavy boots and nobody could ever claim they're holding him back...

If they are comfy and don't cause undue sweat, go for it.

I don't like to wear shoes with raised heels like a dress shoe when I play.
Weight also bothers me. I don't like a heavy shoe.
I have played barefoot or in socks but it isn't always appropriate for the gig.
That is why I started wearing the water shoes.

When I'm at home I usually wear bedroom slippers. When I'm in the studio or gigging I wear what's appropriate for the venue. Now a days I always wear something on my feet because I don't want to loose any more toes.

Dennis

My gigs are Rock shows, so I can wear anything. Usually it's Converse (or the cheap $12 Wal-Mart version), or barefoot if I feel like it.

The shoes Bob linked look interesting though.
I like playing barefoot, but I DON'T like the yuck that I know I am walking over that is on the stage to get to and from my kit, so, I always carry Germ-X in my gear box. It's a must.

I used to go socks-only, and played lots of shows that way for a few years. I started wearing shoes about a year ago and haven't looked back. I'm wearing thin-soled Nike mid-top b-ball sneakers, with a really thin sole on the outside. They're light and supportive, and the tread is minimal, so they slide around nicely on pedals.

At first, I was only confident in these exact shoes...others felt clumsy and unnatural. My feet must have since improved, because any shoe seems comfortable enough now. I think footwear (or not) matters less as your control improves, just like sticks.

Converse Chuck Taylor low tops all the way. These are the most comfortable for ME. Other tennis shoes are too heavy, dress shoes have NO traction, socks have no traction and barefoot is OK. After a while I feel the need for a shoe. I'll never just wear a dress sock again. I was sliding all over the pedal.

I just go straight socks, People give you strange looks at first but as the night goes on they wont care :D

I just go straight socks, People give you strange looks at first but as the night goes on they wont care :D

+1. Which socks you may choose are important.

I'm looking for those non-stick yoga socks, but without the toes.

I have some Nike cotton ones that work VERY well, the dry-fits are too slippery. Wife bought them upon my request, but they don't allow traction, waiting a while until the sock breaks down over time, and will reassess.

I can't do shoes and play 240bpm+. I use my toes a LOT (for rudimentary style of double bass).

I equate using shoes to drumming with thick mittens on (or a full hand cast). It's possible, but it depends on your style of play.

The problem that I have playing barefoot is as I sweat, it may drip down on to my pedals, then it's pretty much game over for traction (a wet foot on wet metal???).

Taekwondo shoes are great!
Light, flexible and thin-soled.

I've always played barefoot till about 4 years ago. I like to grab the chain of my hi-hat between my big toe and next toe-have thick calluses too, I still prefer playing barefoot but acquiesced to the need to wear shoes-which any will do. If I get nervous before a performance I will still take off my shoes to feel more comfortable. But if I'm not working-I'm barefoot anyways. My dogs can't breathe with them freakin' shoes on. LOL.

Back