DW 9000 Single kick pedal.. I am lost.

After a long lay off. I am back drumming. I just bought the DW 9000. And it is so differant then anything I had in he old days I am lost. I have been playing the pedal with factory settings and it is amazing. Yet I am sure it would even be sweeter if I knew how to make adjustments to fit my style.
I have a few questions.
What is the differance between accelerator and turbo settings. And what do you prefer?
Do you like the chain or the strap?
I know we are all differant but what are your settings on the 9000.

A few basic ideas to get me started would go a long way. I think maybe I am letting this overwelm me..lol.

Please help an old drummer out.
Thanks in advance.
Don

After a long lay off. I am back drumming. I just bought the DW 9000. And it is so differant then anything I had in he old days I am lost. I have been playing the pedal with factory settings and it is amazing. Yet I am sure it would even be sweeter if I knew how to make adjustments to fit my style.
I have a few questions.
What is the differance between accelerator and turbo settings. And what do you prefer?
Do you like the chain or the strap?
I know we are all differant but what are your settings on the 9000.

A few basic ideas to get me started would go a long way. I think maybe I am letting this overwelm me..lol.

Please help an old drummer out.
Thanks in advance.
Don

Welcome back man! Yeah, they're nothing compared to the Speed Kings, are they?
I myself returned after 25 years. Today's technology and styles of play are fascinating - almost overwhelming.
I went from a stock Pacific pedal, to a Pearl Elim. I thought it was my gear, so I upgraded to the DW9000 pedal along with the DW Collectors series kit. At that point, it was no longer a "gear" issue, but my own skills - so that is where I focus now.

-The "accelerator" settings extend the cam out, and shortens the stroke. Very helpful for increased speed and sensitivity. I use the Factory setting
-I prefer the chain, for speed and response. The strap provides a relaxed "floating" feel.
-I have slightly increased the pedal angle, and shortened the beater distance. All this for speed and response.
-Spring Tension is about halfway. The double end swivel spring is amazing in itself with pivots on both ends.

At the end of the day, determine your speed applications, and impact velocity. Then just practice like crazy. I have seen some incredible drummers use crappy pedals and just shred the B/D.
I spent weeks alone just in Bass drum pedal rehab, just getting use to the pedal and quick beats. Time well spent IMO. Enjoy!

Welcome back man! Yeah, they're nothing compared to the Speed Kings, are they?
I myself returned after 25 years. Today's technology and styles of play are fascinating - almost overwhelming.
I went from a stock Pacific pedal, to a Pearl Elim. I thought it was my gear, so I upgraded to the DW9000 pedal along with the DW Collectors series kit. At that point, it was no longer a "gear" issue, but my own skills - so that is where I focus now.

-The "accelerator" settings extend the cam out, and shortens the stroke. Very helpful for increased speed and sensitivity. I use the Factory setting
-I prefer the chain, for speed and response. The strap provides a relaxed "floating" feel.
-I have slightly increased the pedal angle, and shortened the beater distance. All this for speed and response.
-Spring Tension is about halfway. The double end swivel spring is amazing in itself with pivots on both ends.

At the end of the day, determine your speed applications, and impact velocity. Then just practice like crazy. I have seen some incredible drummers use crappy pedals and just shred the B/D.
I spent weeks alone just in Bass drum pedal rehab, just getting use to the pedal and quick beats. Time well spent IMO. Enjoy!

Have an eliminator now and buying a 9000 later this week. How do you like the 9000 compared to the pearl. Sounds like I am in the same boat with the unhappy bass drum playing..what did you do for your bass drum pedal rehab?

Have an eliminator now and buying a 9000 later this week. How do you like the 9000 compared to the pearl. Sounds like I am in the same boat with the unhappy bass drum playing..what did you do for your bass drum pedal rehab?

The Eliminator is no doubt, a reliable pedal. “Spikeydrummer” on Youtube just shreds the B/D with his. It is extremely adjustable. Mike Johnston uses a lower grade DW pedal just to stay sharp. He is endorsed by them, so I imagine he can take his pick of pedals.

That being said…MAN. I will admit that the DW9000 is so smooth and fluid. Again, there are so many awesome pedals out there. AXIS and PEARL have some incredible new pedals. The DW marketing probably just got to me!

If you step on the DW pedal and release after holding it down, it will swivel for about 17 seconds. Very smooth and fluid. The pedal responds as if it were one continuous piece of flexible steel.

Rehab was fun, but tough. It was almost like starting over after so long. Thank God I kept my rhythm and time keeping skills. I started playing along with songs I enjoyed. These just happened to have quick double, triple and a few quad beats.

You probably have a favorite technique, be it heel up, heel-toe, etc.
In order to get the quick doubles, I stumbled upon heel-toe pretty easily. I tried heel up, but couldn’t pick it up at first. I had to get the quick doubles down first. I then put them into grooves and songs.
From there, I did the same thing with Triples and Quads. Now I am doing fills, grooves incorporating B/D doubles with toms + snare rolls. My practice sessions are about 1/3 bass drum drills.

I can’t use gear as an excuse now! Have a fun rehab!

Cool thanks, I am trying just heel down right now as it is tough for me to get the heel up thing as well. I am getting a hardly used dw 9000 for $110 today and am hoping I don't like it that much more than my pearl because I could sell the dw for atleast $160 on ebay and make a good $50+.

Cool thanks, I am trying just heel down right now as it is tough for me to get the heel up thing as well. I am getting a hardly used dw 9000 for $110 today and am hoping I don't like it that much more than my pearl because I could sell the dw for atleast $160 on ebay and make a good $50+.

I think Jared Falk has a great heel-toe Youtube vid. You can get pretty quick doubles with that. Try to use more of your instep (bottom of sole), versus "heel".
Damn good price for a barely used 9000. Make it fly!

Last edited:
Have the pedal and really like it but one thing I notice is the red hinge part between the heel plate and footboard moves about an 1/8" up and down. Not when I am playing it but I noticed it when I had it in my hand. I can reachdown and pull the hinge part up a little bit.

Not a big deal but I am wondering with this being a used pedal if it is missing something or is this how they all are? I do not see anything I can tighten up.

As for chain or strap. I started with the chain and played it that way for about a year, switched to the strap and I'm even more in love with it! I've adjusted just about everything on it to fine tune. To change from chain to strap is easy so swap them and see what you think. BTW I upgraded to the 9000 a few years ago from a 5000 that I had owned for 12 years.

Have the pedal and really like it but one thing I notice is the red hinge part between the heel plate and footboard moves about an 1/8" up and down. Not when I am playing it but I noticed it when I had it in my hand. I can reachdown and pull the hinge part up a little bit.

Not a big deal but I am wondering with this being a used pedal if it is missing something or is this how they all are? I do not see anything I can tighten up.

Hmmm. I just messed around with mine and the foot pedal and footboard are both pretty secure to each other via the hinge. The hinge itself seems pretty tight. Same on my DW 5000 that I use on a practice set.

Does your hinge have any play or slack in it? If the hinge is secured tightly to both the heel plate and footboard, sounds like some slack in the hinge, which over time, will increase.

If you are able to, drop the folks at DW a line and inquire about that. Let them know you picked it up a little while back and get their feedback. I think Mark is one of the techs there. They also have schematics and owners manuals you can download.

http://www.dwdrums.com/

Phone: 800-45-DRUMS (800-453-7867)

Hope you get that figured out...

Hmmm. I just messed around with mine and the foot pedal and footboard are both pretty secure to each other via the hinge. The hinge itself seems pretty tight. Same on my DW 5000 that I use on a practice set.

Does your hinge have any play or slack in it? If the hinge is secured tightly to both the heel plate and footboard, sounds like some slack in the hinge, which over time, will increase.

If you are able to, drop the folks at DW a line and inquire about that. Let them know you picked it up a little while back and get their feedback. I think Mark is one of the techs there. They also have schematics and owners manuals you can download.

http://www.dwdrums.com/

Phone: 800-45-DRUMS (800-453-7867)

Hope you get that figured out...

Yes the hinge does have some slack in it.. I will call this # and see what I can find out.Thanks

I see this thread is a few years old, but just wanted to share that I've had the DW-9000 double pedals for about 6 months now & I've always thought they could be adjusted better than the factory settings. I ended up loosening the spring tension a few turns & I can play much groovier and faster now! I then kept making minor tweaks to the right until it felt great, then I matched the left pedal to it, EXACTLY. I used a mm ruler to get both pedals springs & cams adjusted exactly the same & they are now so much better & even than they were out of the box. I don't know if all pedals are adjusted the same at the factory, but for me, loosening the spring tension a bit helped. Also, tune your bass-drum head high enough so you get a decent rebound from your pedals.

My recommendation is to lose the beaters and replace with the new style Spead Cobra. That made a world of difference in the responsiveness of the pedal the factory ones feel really clunky by comparison. I actually swapped beaters at Guitar Center and when I put the DW beaters on the Speed Cobra, the pedal lost all of its feel. Definitely a different feeling with the SC beaters

My recommendation is to lose the beaters and replace with the new style Spead Cobra. That made a world of difference in the responsiveness of the pedal the factory ones feel really clunky by comparison. I actually swapped beaters at Guitar Center and when I put the DW beaters on the Speed Cobra, the pedal lost all of its feel. Definitely a different feeling with the SC beaters

Which one did you put on the felt one or the accu-strike nylon?

Back