High hat placement

Sirwill

Silver Member
I have just added a second bass drum to my drum set-up. My new problem is my high-hat placement. The hat is too far away and/or the hh legs are hitting my kick pedal. I'm looking into a Pearl Ha-100 hat to kick drum attachment (that may work with my hh, if I remove the legs). The other idea is a Pearl Rh-2000 eliminator remote hh (but its very pricey). Any ideas to get a hh close to the snare with a double bass set-up would be a welcome.

I looked at Louie Belson on the Drummers page to see how he set up but no drivers view. You may check some other drummers there.

I have a Tama legless hi-hat. I'd go that route rather than a remote. Remotes loose much of the feel. At least all the remotes I've ever played. Clamp the legless to the kick (or a near-by stand, with aux. clamps). Done deal.

I use a crazy clamp on the bass drum hoop, and the hi-hat legs are folded.

I may try to remove the legs to get the hi-hat in a slightly better position. I don't want to make it too rickety though.

I'd like to buy a legless like harryconway mentioned

Attachments

• hihat_001.jpg
    hihat_001.jpg
    481.1 KB · Views: 5,765
....Janus pedal is a single pedal that switches between hats and double pedal.

Every time I saw and tried a Janus, it was being marketed by Mapex. They always had a very "sloppy" feel. My thought was, not once have I ever had a problem "transitioning" my foot from the hi-hat to a kick, or slave foot pedal. Why spend (whateverthehelltheycost) for sub-par performance.

Every time I saw and tried a Janus, it was being marketed by Mapex. They always had a very "sloppy" feel. My thought was, not once have I ever had a problem "transitioning" my foot from the hi-hat to a kick, or slave foot pedal. Why spend (whateverthehelltheycost) for sub-par performance.

They got good reviews from what I recall. Subjective issues like feel aside, I think the point of the Janus pedal was to conserve space and make double-pedal setups easier, so that is why someone would invest in one.

I think drummers like the paraphernalia of double pedals and the Janus, in addition to maybe other shortcomings, just doesn't have the gear factor going for it.

You pretty much answered your own question. I would just get the gibraltar legless stand and clamp it on to the bass drum.

Back