Joey Jordison

I don't think anyone understands that joey is not a complete speed demon, if you actually listen to some Slipknot tracks and not just listen to how damn fast every instrument is going, you can hear that he is using a lot of creative techniques and beats. He is not a fast drummer in my opinion, now inferno on the other hand phew get him some ice for those chops.

Yeah, Joey's not the best, but neither is anyone else. There is no "best" drummer. He's really good and I have respect for him as a drummer and he's just a great guy. He was the one who influenced me to play drums. Now I'm influenced by him still and Chris Adler and Tomas Haake.

Have you seen him play???!!!
He's amazing! I would kill to be able to play like him!

=) Luv yhoo guyz

Eh, Joey's not that great. I saw his solo on that DVD... it got boring after the first minute. All it was was double bass and rolls. All crowd-pleasers.

Oh my gosh! = 0
No Way!!! Joey is great and how could you get bored watching him??
He's cool as... but I still respect what you have to say, everyone is different.

=)

I doubt he will ever be in the class with George kollias or pete sandoval or any of them but he fits slipknot and that is what is important. He has also helped drumming alot. He has done what every drummer has ever wanted to do. There not my fav band but i can respect his talent.. and he solo wasnt good drumming wise but it looked sick!

The worst thing about people insulting Joey Jordison is that he doesn't claim to be amazing. He just does a style of drumming that he and the Slipknot audience enjoy.

But besides that, when people insult Jordison they aren't doing it based on HIS skill. They are insulting him because they don't like the band which is ludicrous.

I have seen Joey Jordison play a proper solo and he is actually incredible. I don't doubt that he can hold his own against the greats. He does usually play in standard 4/4 from what I can tell but he has incredible technical skill and in that regard he may even beat out people such as Portnoy, Moon, Carey, and Peart.

Joey Jordison is an immaculate drummer skill-wise. I just don't think he has the creativity that people like Portnoy and Carey demonstrated or showmanship that people like Moon demonstrated.

I can see Joey Jordison being a very very talented drummer. To me it seems Slipknot limits him in his ability to explore further on the drums. Who knows if he was with the right type of metal band maybe you could hear more technical and more creative drumming from him.

For an example I think Martin Lopez whom I also believe is very talented drummer was fortunate enough to be in the prog metal band Opeth. Opeth I believed allowed Lopez to be able to bring about his Jazz and blues influences to the band.

If Jordison was in a metal band like Opeth I think we would hear a much better Joey Jordison.

N.J.J. has influenced me quite a bit as a drummer. Since 1999 I have tried to create my own sound and my own style as an aspiring percussionist, and got my beginnings not just on the kit, but also as a symphony percussionist, having played other instruments such as Timpany, Stand Up Bass Drum, Triangle, Xylaphone, Concert Snare, and other percussion instruments such as congas, tamborines, hand cymbals, and others. Since my start in '99 I have grown to love his style even though it highly relies on his footwork, and only recently having tried to get my feet to move as fast as his can I really say that I honor him for his work because it is damn hard to get it perfect. He might be somewhat of a linear styled drummer, but it works very well for his music, it contributes to his band, and it still shows his skill as he more often than not breaks into a crazy beat or groove that you are not expecting, but generally that tends to happen in the studio during a warmup as opposed to a live show- or so I have heard. And for his height, about 5'5", he packs a hell of a punch on those drums of his. So with that being said I think those who believe he is just a linear drummer without much skill are entitled to their opinions, but should pay respect to him because he has obviously done very well for himself and has gone very far. Someday I'd love to meet the man even if it was for a short while and I could only ask him a few questions...which of course if that was the case, would take me quite a bit to think about :p And finally I just wanted to add I just picked up a really nice '82 pearl vintage birch kit in blood red, and of course I picked up the JJ Sig. Snare, Sticks, and P2000C PowerShifter Eliminator Pedals which sound absolutely bloody AMAZING. I dream of someday owning an MMX Masters kit like his, complementary to one of my other custom kits.

I don't think anyone understands that joey is not a complete speed demon, if you actually listen to some Slipknot tracks and not just listen to how damn fast every instrument is going, you can hear that he is using a lot of creative techniques and beats. He is not a fast drummer in my opinion, now inferno on the other hand phew get him some ice for those chops.

I know what you mean. He sounds fast but if you actually watch his hands, he complements his hands with his feet a lot, and he plays in four note groups a lot, such as HHFF, H being Hand and F being Foot. Then he just alternates toms, and played in 16ths it sounds BLAZINGLY fast, not to mention the tuning of his MMX Masters toms gives them that added punch. Glad to see I'm not the only one who picked up on that ;)

i am 15, and iv been listening to music ever since i can remember, iv been playing drums for only about a year and Lars Ulrich and Joey Jordison are 2 people that really turned me into drumming. it was joey who first shown me what a double bass pedal was, when i first saw it, i was stunned, and ever since i saw him using it, iv always wanted to buy one, but i cant get the money of ma mum. When i saw him do his solo on the disasterpiece dvd in London, he stepped it up another notch in my eyes, i hope to see them in england this december. If anyone could give me any tips on drumming, i will be happy to read them. Thanks

He's using triggers now? Aww, shame. I always respected him because he didn't. When I saw them live in 04' I couldn't believe how consistent the notes were at some pretty high tempos. Like Get this for example, the double bass near the end is just so powerful. Blows me away every time, even when I see a live video.

All I can assume is that he's gonna be playing really fast now. Crazy little dude.

T

charlyivan,

Here is Get This from last month with Joey using triggers -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kss4lbE_Fnk

You can certainly tell the difference in his bass drum sound!

I reacon he has finally switched over to using them just for the consistency in the kicks and to replicate the kick sound on the albums, there is no reason that any big name metal or rock drummer shouldn't be using triggers now. The benefits are huge.

Could you elaborate a little more please? Is your point of view based strictly on his solo performances? Please give a little more meat to your opinon cuz I am curious about what it is spicifically that helps you to think that he is a "tasteless drummer."

He obviously hasn't hear the latest from Slipknot LOL

charlyivan,

Here is Get This from last month with Joey using triggers -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kss4lbE_Fnk

You can certainly tell the difference in his bass drum sound!

I reacon he has finally switched over to using them just for the consistency in the kicks and to replicate the kick sound on the albums, there is no reason that any big name metal or rock drummer shouldn't be using triggers now. The benefits are huge.

There is a good reason. I have a bass drum that sounds lovely, and it cost me a lot of money. Why would I want to replace that sound that I've spent good time and money getting with a trigger when I can be just as consistent at these speeds? Fair enough if you're pushing 240bpm+, even though Derek Roddy can hit speeds like that with no triggers, but he's a bit of an exception. Anyhow, Joey's only hitting 210bpm or so, and he can do it without the triggers. Why bother? Yeah, it takes a bit less time out of setting up, but at the end of the day it's just laziness IMO.

And I watched the video, the kicks stick out far too much, which is another thing I hate about triggers. You have to get the mix right, and this mix isn't.

This is all just a matter of opinion though, so there you are.

T

And I watched the video, the kicks stick out far too much, which is another thing I hate about triggers. You have to get the mix right, and this mix isn't.

Well it all depends how much you are relying on triggers to provide the kick sound if you do a mix between triggers and micing in the kick drum the result is a very nice warm powerful sound if you use the right type of kick trigger sample and micing. It doesn't all have to be loud and clicky just because your using triggers, its just most metal drummers want them this way.

Joey is just going for the loud stick out clicky type of sound which most metal drummers seem to want.

You can do a lot more with triggers if your not looking for the clicky metal type sound.

I've been a rock/metal fan for many many years but bands like Slipknot do absolutely nothing for me. Jordison does some nice things every now and then but I really don't care much for his style of drumming. I'm not into blast beats or blast anything. I guess if I was 15 years old that kind of stuff might get me all hot and bothered. I'm not saying Joey is a bad drummer because I know there are far worse out there but his style isn't my cup of tea.
I was watching one of his solos on youtube and it's all about double bass. I'd like to hear him with just one bass drum and have him rely more on his hands than feet. Fast double bass licks can hide a lot. For those that enjoy Slipknot and Jordison, have at it. I'll pass.

give me Joe Franco's drum solo from the Klash-Ka-Bob track on the Good Rats Live at Last album over Joey's solo(s) any day of the week.

I miss the Joey tha didn't rely on triggers.

What people forget is a lot of drummers who are not speed drummers i.e - Tommy Lee, John Miceli, Eric Singer etc. all use triggers for the sound and clearness benefits only not for any other reason other than the sound benefits of triggers far way out any negatives.

Joey probably isn't relying on triggers as such he just wants a really nice sound from all his drums.

I dont get it why people like him..... Really.. it aint that hard what he does I gues he practise his double bass every day an hour (or les..) Boring solo's imo and I hate his songs :D

Back