Supre Macy 60's kit

Rick H.

Just got a new kit, another one of my craigslist finds. Haven't even had time to play it yet. Thought I'd show it off a bit.

Also was wondering if anybody could help tell me some more about the kit, as in the exact year, I'm almost certain it's early 60's but not 100%. The owner did have them rewrapped he told me.

I'll be sure to post more pics once I get it fully set up.

Attachments

• good 1.JPG
    good 1.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 643
  • good 3.JPG
    good 3.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 635
  • good 2.JPG
    good 2.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 639
  • good 4.JPG
    good 4.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 650
These were sold by department stores, mainly Macy's I think, I had one of these that was purchased from a local Department store (in Toledo) that I think was affiliated with Macy's.

Made in Japan.

Think I got this set around 1968 - 1969 for Christmas. Mine was a Black & Pearl onyx design.

My guess is that they originated in the Pearl factory. Pearl built a lot of drums that got sold under different brands during that era, or so I have been led to believe. Lugs kinda look similar to Pearl lugs too.

I had a set like that under the name of "Kent Drums" that were probably made by the same manufacturer. What is striking about yours is the off-set lugs. Mine (and the many of them that I've seen) did not have off-set lugs. This was mainly a Sonor thing back in the day. I wonder is this was for the European market who may have been trying to appear "Sonor-like" to gain customers? Nice find - those look to be in great shape!

Very cool link Ian. I found out that my first set of drums, Stewarts, were made by Star/Tama. Rock on.

I like it! I like the position of the tom mount rail and the staggered lugs.
I also like the wrap.

Back