View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012, 04:58 PM

Default Re: IMAC or macbook pro - advise from Mac users please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
I record drums on my 2009 MacBook Pro. I don't have many issues at all. It's also very simple to replace the HDD on a MacBook Pro if you have a bit of courage and a set of screwdrivers - of course, this will invalidate any warranty you have so it's best advised not to.

The real question is - do you need it to be portable? Really, that's all it comes down to. I need a portable computer and that's why I have a 15" MacBook Pro. It's as simple as that.
So if i go for a 13"macbook with 500gb hd at 5400rpm i could "upgrade" at a later date if i needed to? Hmm this is tempting - i may go for the 13" macbook which will leave me money to get photoshop student version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
Mine's a 2009 model, so it's definitely out of date.

I have issues with the HDD recording audio but I don't tend to run more than five tracks live at the same time. I'm not sure about any more than that.

I'm asssuming you meant to say "I have no isssues" - Within the next year I can't see my self using more than 8 tracks - prob not even more than 4. I will be using bass mic, snare mic and 2 overheads for drums. If collaborators come into the picture I may use 1-4 instrument/vocal mics.

I really appreciate you're help so far but if I could ask you to check this link as this is what i may go for:

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/FD313B/A

I realise a 13" screen may not be ideal for photoediting etc but 850 is better than 1000+! The portability is going to allow me to do my music work in the studio and my photo work in the house. This is a big advantage AS i SHARE THE STUDIO WITH FAMILY MEMBERS AND DON'T WANT TO HOG IT.