View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012, 03:45 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: IMAC or macbook pro - advise from Mac users please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaajn View Post
One more possibility. The Mac Mini. For about 900 bucks American, you can get a lot of Ram and a half decent hard drive. Add Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. You can add a CD writer and still come in under your budget.

This is a good choice if you already have a monitor, or a keyboard. I have used all kinds of Mac's and I like this option.

My second choice would be the IMac.
If you are using Pro Tools or other more advanced audio editing software, you'll need the faster hard drive (7200 rpm versus 5400 rpm). Today's processors are certainly fast enough (think of them as an engine with plenty of horsepower), but the internal bussing system needs to be able to keep up with all of that data moving back and forth from the hard drive (think of this as being able to drive on smooth pavement versus a dirt road). While it's possible that your audio editing software will run on a 5400rpm drive, it's too big a chance to take if you're at all serious about recording and mixing. And since we're discussing this here on DW, you're probably going to want to track live drums, which means you'll be asking a lot from your computer.

The best bang for your buck is the iMac, so if you don't need to be portable, go this route. Macbook Pros with 7200rpm hard drives start at around $2000 I think. You might check out older models on eBay. Don't get anything slower than a 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor.