View Single Post
Old 04-17-2012, 08:54 AM

Default Re: Concerts that surpised you as to how good the band was

Quote:
Originally Posted by shambo View Post
1987 (yes, I'm old) Market Square Arena (no longer there, feeling even older) in Indianapolis, IN. The Cult opens for Billy Idol. I went with some friends because 1) I was in high school 2) everyone was going to see Billy Idol and 3) what else is there to do in Indiana in the middle of July, so why not? I didn't even know who The Cult was but was absolutely blown away by their show. Amazing energy and sound. Ian Astbury put on one of the best performances by a front man that I've seen to date. Billy Duffy shredded his guitar non-stop for 45 minutes. The only concert that I've been to where I didn't stare at the drummer the entire time. They blew Billy Idol away...crowd energy went from 10 to about a 5 after he came on and it went down from there. I went out the next day and bought the "Electric" CD...one of my favorites to this day. Great topic by the way...good memories.
Hey Shamboo I know what you mean - Electric is a fantastic album. Then they did The Sonic Temple album and totally won me over. Been a massive fan ever since.

My fav to this point was Midnight Oil here in Adelaide a few years ago. I wasn't really suprised how good they were because I already knew, but as far as the concert went, it was magical. It's really something to see Peter Garrett jumping around like a giant with a hard boiled egg for a head. It was killer.

The other one was Iron Maiden in Sydney a couple of years ago during their "Somewhere Back in Time" tour. Again, I knew how good they would be, but to see them in person doing what they do best was something else man. I will never forget that gig. I took my wife along and she is now a huge Maiden fan and she didn't think she would be but they turned her around on the subject.