View Single Post
Old 04-17-2012, 05:09 AM

Default This is an easy one

I saw Adam Ant at the Palladium in Hollywood. My GF at the time was way into him, and I went along, fully expecting to stand there, arms folded counting the moments until I could get the hell out of there.

If you've been to the Palladium, its an old dance hall in LA. there is a stage and a floor. The key is not to get mashed against the stage by the hundreds of people behind you.

We were very, very close, and she was on my shoulders. We were getting mashed against the stage.

Mr Mister opened. Amazing. They completely brought it, and I'm thinking this is going to be a good night.

Adam came on - this was the Goody Two Shoes tour. Two drummers, live horns, 3 background singers, the whole 9.

It was, even to this moment, in my top 5 concerts of all time.

I knew his music very well - she was a superfan. Had all the stuff going back to way the Dirk days... we're talking imported singles from Vinyl fetish, etc, etc...

By the 3rd song I took her off my shoulders so I could dance better with the hundreds of other fans. The sound with those two drummers and the jungle drums was like nothing I've ever heard. They were tight, they were on fire. The horns were blazing, the vocals were spot on, Marco's twangy guitar was twaggin' - one of the best shows ever.

This will always be the surprise of my life.

Yea, Queen rocked. Yea, Rush rolls. Yea, Tower of Power grooves.

Adam completely knocked me out. I'll never forget it.

-Ken