Thread: Spinning vinyl
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2012, 09:07 AM

Default Re: Spinning vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Still don't get why you guys feel you can't listen to an album in it's entirety on CD or ipod though. I do it daily.......and I'm not limited to being within hearing distance of the turntable either......my entire record collection comes with me.
An iPod is a regular part of my world. I also (almost) always buy - and listen to - complete albums from iTunes, not just individual songs. My wife and teen-aged daughter (and most of the music-buying public), however, don't share the same sensibility.

At home, however, (when I have the time), just sitting and listening to an LP - purely for the sake of listening - is thoroughly enjoyed, and not relegated to being just a background to other activities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe.ron View Post
if there was a vinyl addicts anonymous support group i'd definitely be part of it. i have probably 250 records i consider in my collection and maybe another 200 laying around my room looking to sell or trade. there's just something special about looking through all the artwork and deciding on an album and listening to it the way the artist wanted you to...from beginning to end
My favorite hi-fi forum...http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php. Vinyl freaks are welcomed with open arms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
I like MP3s. I don't need the filler, nor the fragility, scratches and pops and rapid deterioration of vinyl.

What I do miss is the presence of LPs, but I don't know how much of that is nostalgia.
There's no doubt that vinyl needs some extra love, but clean, un-damaged LPs sound REALLY good - even on a moderate-budget system.