View Single Post
Old 04-07-2012, 11:41 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Whats the deal with Glam Metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceG33 View Post
Here are some the arguments I've heard (some of which are valid and some...open to interpretation).
  • It's vapid
  • It's pejoratively simple in style and function
  • It's misogynistic
  • it celebrates shallow themes
  • It embraces rock's worst cliches
LOL superb description. It could be said that you just listed the genre's most appealing qualities ...

I have no problem with the misogyny because it's so brainless it's funny ... especially since the protagonists wore more makeup than most women do in their lives :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
In the begining... Alice Cooper, Iggy Pop, Lou Reed, Suzi Quatro, T. Rex, Gary Glitter, Elton John, David Bowie, New York Dolls, Queen, Slade, Sweet, Bay City Rollers....

then later... Aerosmith, Van Halen, Kiss, Mötley Crue, Guns N' Roses, Bon Jovi, Scorpions, Ozzy Osbourne, Skid Row, Europe, Def Leppard, David Lee Roth, Stryper, Bad Company...
Great list, Henri, though I wouldn't include Bad Company. The "in the beginning" bands read like a list of my favourite bands in the early/mid 70s (apart from the BCRs, and I didn't get into the NY Dolls or Iggy till later)

Never cared for the bands in the second list, apart from a few of their songs here and there.

If you're including Europe, then you probably should add Asia, and from there it's a short Journey to Boston and Kansas, and they lead us to Todd Rundgren and before long we're at Hall and Oates.

It depends on whether we're talking about the shtick, the music or both.