View Single Post
Old 04-07-2012, 02:00 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Whats the deal with Glam Metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
That is the trouble with overexposure, isn't it? "Voice of a generation" and Cobain's comparisons to John Lennon were a bit over the top, I agree, but I don't think there was anything they could have done to prevent that kind of mania. Nobody in their right minds thought that record would sell more than a couple hundred thousand (not enough to even go gold).

The fact is, whether you like them or not, Nevermind was a totally unexpected breakout hit, and that one record completely changed the rock landscape - glam/hair metal went away and we're still suffering the pop-punk aftertaste. Sure, there were other bands like AIC, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, etc, but their commercial success came after Nevermind and their success came much more slowly. It's hard for me to imagine that they would have had nearly as much success if it hadn't been for Nirvana blowing the doors wide open for them first.

That's not fanboy talk, that's just the way it happened.

I haven't listened to most of that stuff since then, though I hear it all on the radio still but I think it's as tired as The Eagles or Fleetwood Mac (nothing against those guys). I much prefer listening to what's new (Band Of Skulls is on infinite repeat this week).
True.

What is kind of odd/weird is Nevermind sold 10 million copies in the US, which is an incredible feat. I'm not taking anything away from that.

Yet, Def Leppard has two albums with sales over 10 million. Appetite for Destruction sold 18 Million copies in the US, not quite twice what Nevermind sold. Metallica's Black album sold 15 million, which is 1 and half times more than Nevermind.

Yet Nevermind was the trend setter that all those other bands had to follow, even though in terms of US sales, Def Lep, Metallica and GnR were all bigger acts.