View Single Post
Old 04-06-2012, 10:51 PM

Default Re: Whats the deal with Glam Metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
IAnyway, I was over the moon when Soundgarden started getting traction, and bursting with glee when Nirvana put all the nonsense to bed once and for all. Finally, good players and good songwriterscould coexist in the same band!
Just so I'm straight and understand you correctly. Are you saying that there were no good players in the hair metal genre?

The songwriting was very shallow, I'll give you that. Most of the songs were about partying, you know sex, drugs, and rock & roll. But that's what they were singing about. They were all about partying and pissing off the parents. They weren't being serious, they weren't trying to cure cancer with their lyrics. It was all about a good time. So if you're looking for music with a deep meaning, then yeah, hair metal is not for you.

As far as good players...there's were a lot!! Many will never get the credit because of the genre they were in, and that's just wrong.

Everyone has their particular tastes in music. But I could NEVER get into the whole Nirvana thing. I can't stand them. Not because they're credited with killing off hair metal, but just because I simply don't like their music! David Grohl is very talented! Kurt Cobain had a lot of demons, but ultimately I will always view him as a coward. I don't even know the bass players' name. But one band wasn't going to throw me off of the whole genre. I loved Pearl Jam, STP, Soundgarden, Faith No More and AIC will always be one of my favorites.

A lot of people fail to evolve their taste of music. They fall in love with one style and the hell with everything else! It's really a shame because there is great music in every genre, and people would realize this if they weren't so narrow minded.

Now I'm not saying this about you in particular MikeM, because I don't know you. I'm just speaking in general. The only thing I was directing at you was the question of no good players in hair metal.