View Single Post
Old 04-06-2012, 05:47 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Whats the deal with Glam Metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brozif View Post
You ask people who the best guitar player of all time is and I'm willing to bet that Eddie Van Halen would probably be the most mentioned. But let me throw a name out there of someone who would have been just as big as Eddie had his music and health lasted...Vito Bratta! Say whatever about their music, but that man made that guitar sing! His solo's were melodic where most others were all about speed and high notes.
When they first broke, I really thought they stood out from the pack, and had potential to rise above the rest of the hair spray bands at the time. And then I saw them open for Ozzy, and the they put on a terrible performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
, and bursting with glee when Nirvana put all the nonsense to bed once and for all. Finally, good players and good songwriters could coexist in the same band!!
eh....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuo View Post
In general I dislike it... But there are some gems that I still enjoy... Appetite for Destruction, Operation Mindcrime, 1st two Ozzy albums w/ Rhoads....
While those records tend to get dumped into the hair metal catagory by some, really, they weren't. The first two Ozzy solo albums came out before the Hair metal thing took off, and while Ozzy eventually adopted the hair metal look, he wasn't doing so at the time.

Operation Mindcrime musically had nothing to do with it.

Appetite was more a reaction against the fluff of the 80's hair scene, all though they certainly shared most of the same musical influences.