View Single Post
Old 04-04-2012, 03:35 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Why Musicians Shouldn't Work for Peanuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Tempered Clavier View Post

It baffles me when, to this day, some people who run small venues still have the attitude "I'll book this band but if they don't bring X amount of people through the door then they don't get booked again etc" - and then simply do nothing themselves to encourage people to come to the event which they have organised. Then they have the nerve to turn around and moan that they lose money by putting on gigs that no one comes to. Well whose fault is that?
I brought that up in a prior thread:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=87778

Which came from an article with this quote:
Quote:
But here’s where the club owner doesn’t get it. The crowd is following the band, not the venue. The next night you will have to start all over again. And the people that were starting to follow your venue are now turned off because you just made them listen to a bad band. The goal should be to build a fan base of the venue. To get people that will trust that you will have good music in there every night. Instead, you’ve soiled your reputation for a quick fix.

If you asked a club owner, ”who is your target demographic?” I doubt they would answer ”the band’s friends and family.” But yet clubs operate like it is.