View Single Post
Old 04-01-2012, 01:02 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Why Musicians Shouldn't Work for Peanuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Tempered Clavier View Post
Just saw this blog about the ever-present problem of musicians being woefully underpaid and somehow putting up with it; I know this is not exactly a new topic, but it's the one that burns me the most about this whole business of music and drumming and I found the piece to be quite well written.

http://www.publicemilie.com/post/20223649899

P.S. Gotta love the comment from the smart-arse who asked the author if her blog was undercutting professional writers . . .
Read the whole piece, & the comments. Pretty good stuff, & fairly logical. Thing is, that balance isn't going to change anytime soon, but you can make things better for yourself, & in turn, improve things for other players. I make no apology for pushing up fees locally. We're in the lucky position of being a band that puts bums on seats. Also, we only want to play 2-3 times a month, so turn down more than double the offers we get. We get paid at least twice the going rate, & we get that by getting the act right. That's the whole deal, including high standards of audio & lighting.

I was thanked by a local artist last week, for pushing local prices up. He said his take had increased in two venues where we play, as the landlord had changed his policy of hiring acts to reflect the act quality, & ultimately the fees paid.

As a counter to this, I saw a band last night who were, frankly, crap. They could play, but the time & energy devoted to getting numbers tight, slick song transitions, personal appearance, PA & lighting quality, was zero. They were complaining about the fee they received, well, what did they expect.

Get good, get very good at everything to do with putting on a show, start filling venues, then the tables start to turn. Yes, it means putting the work in up front. Yes it means putting investment into gear up front, but you have to speculate to accumulate. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It's not called the music business for nothing.