Thread: Vinnie Colaiuta
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 02:26 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Vinnie Colaiuta goes to PAISTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
But Lenny wasn't just a guy who worked there, he was the guy who hand picks cymbals, and helped develop the sounds the companies put out. So, to an extent, following him does have to do with the cymbals, because of his behind the scenes work into getting the cymbals made. Notice Peart doesn't play standard Sabians either, and numerous things have been custom made for Weckl as well.
Yeah, that's an important consideration for sure. That would a valuable service to anyone.

But what Lenny doesn't have control over is the recipe. All cymbals from Sabian start life the same way: the ingredients are added, cooked up, poured, and rolled into until they look like a pizza. Zildjian has a similar process for getting to their pizzas, but the recipe for it is different. That's why you can hear the difference between Zildjian and Sabian regardless of whether their AA, Paragon, HHX, K Custom, A Series, etc...

Anyway, it's Zildjian's recipe for getting to the plain 'ole undefined pizza stage that I like better, and that alone would make me not want to switch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
If you sit back and think about it for a minute, what did Vinny say when he was developing the A-custom line? He wanted some thing thin, that speaks quickly, vintage sounding, but brighter than K.... which essentially describes the 602 line as well.
Does kind of make one go "hummm......"
Yeah, I get that. You're right - 602s doing vintage Zildjian better than Zildjian!