View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 05:49 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Mid- life career change

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
.... full fledged careers but still manage to work in some professional gigs on the ocassional weekend.
11 years working for the Postal Service, and in 1990, I let that all go. The next 15 years, I worked music retail. Way less money, but way more fun. Every job, from 1973 up ... always placed me in a position that drums/band would always be #1, as far as schedule.
Quote:
My question though is about none of the above. I was wondering how many of you have made a career change late in life. Spent most of your working life in one career and made a big change thereafter.... by choice or by neccesity.
2 hip replacements in 4 months .... and I have basically a blank page to write out my new "career" path. And whatever that entails, I'm gonna have fun. My goal is to make enough to keep a roof over my head, food on the table, gas in my rides, and new heads on my drums. I've already got a drum gig lined up for June/July.
Quote:
Old dog new tricks, anyone?
Certainly. I get a band (or aggregation of musicians) together, I have 4 primary venues to pursue. My Kat opens the doors to the "biker" scene. Bikers love beer and music. My Iltis is two fold, it gets me into the "military vehicle collectors" circle, and I gets me into the VW circle (it has a 1.7 liter VW engine. And then, the "art" circle, providing "avant garde" soundscapes to art shows, gallery openings, etc. As of right now, I have absolutely no recording gear. This will change, very soon.
Quote:
I'm on the verge of taking a big plunge.
I'm sure it's well thought out, and I'm sure you'll have a "damn the torpedoes" attitude. For me, failure is not an option.