View Single Post
Old 03-05-2012, 12:45 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Mid- life career change

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Would be happy to except I have no head for numbersdatacrunchingtech wizardry. The idea of travel is glamourous, only if your're not travelling. Trust me!

Im ready to walk away, I think Pol, but its just a little nerve wracking .. do I have the energy to try and make a go of a new thing, is the ugly question sitting on my chest every night thesedays.
Screw the glamour :) I simply haven't travelled much and doing it for work seems like a cushy way to do it because you have people help organise things. Just for, say, 3 to 5 years and then return to blobdom.

Not easy to get out of your comfort zone after a long settled period. When I work out how to do it I'll pass it on ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
I worked for a large corporation doing what I enjoyed doing for almost 20 years until just last year all of our work was shipped overseas.
Offshoring. Outsourcing. Downsizing. Everyone's doing it. My work's obsessed with it. I've been hoping for a redundancy but I pass on the numbers and they love numbers. I refuse to spin the figures in the negative way the top brass want - if there's mitigating circumstances they're going to see it.

It's dumb ... they almost always overdo it and end up with corporate anorexia and loss of corporate knowledge.

So now, dmacc, you've been pushed out of your comfort zone and have to explore option #2. Hopefully your adjustment period will last long enough to be stimulating, but not long enough to be too wearing.

A kick up the bum is good for us at times, but there are limits, especially at this age.