View Single Post
Old 03-05-2012, 04:49 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Are there IHOP's in Europe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
What's the closest thing then? Waffles? Do Europeans eat anything that is similar to American pancake for breakfast? Something that requires butter and syrup? The name of the chain, International House of Pancakes.... implies that pancakes are loved the world over. What is it about pancakes that doesn't appeal to the Euro-palette?
In Russia, they prepare thin pancakes called bliny. They eat them with stuff like fresh berries and sour cream, or red caviar and sour cream. Yummy! The whole mindset towards food is different over there. I was married to a Russian woman for about 6 years. When she came here she would only eat organic foods and meals made from scratch. Unfortunately, I had to do most of the cooking. I'm kinda poor now and as a bachelor now I've fell back into my American ways a little, but I much more aware now. The thing is, these fast food places have healthy choices, but the healthier food is a lot more costly. As a side note, I was surprised to see a Pizza Hut in Moscow, and they didn't serve Diet Pepsi, they served Pepsi Lite. Interesting, but that was like 10 years ago.