View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 05:39 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Are there IHOP's in Europe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
What's the closest thing then? Waffles? Do Europeans eat anything that is similar to American pancake for breakfast? Something that requires butter and syrup?
Nope, at least not that I know of. Europe is big though, and has loads of countries and cultures. Some countries might enjoy something similar for breakfast.

Norwegian breakfasts usually consist of a simple sandwich or some cereal. In southern Europe, people often eat toast, rolls and some pastry (like croissants), while in the UK a traditional breakfast is an assortment of fried stuff, like eggs, bacon, beans, sausages and fried tomatoes.

I don't think there's anything about pancakes that doesn't appeal to us, but with the exception of the UK the trend in Europe seems to be to avoid heavy breakfasts. I like American style pancakes, but I don't understand how you guys can stomach it in the morning; it just seems too rich to me. Doesn't it make you want to just lie down and go back to sleep instead of giving you the energy needed to start the day? To me it would make a lot more sense as lunch or even dinner or supper.

IHOP is about as international as the World Series, it would seem :-)