View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 10:07 PM

Default Re: Show Off Your DW Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by illustrator X View Post
I will make a sound check vid/ tour for you. I am a fan of the 16x20. I have it in a VLT and a VLX.
VLX tunes low, and I tend to tighten the heads up to give a pointed attack. Maye the X shell would be the perfect in between. Iit's crazy how tight I have the heads and how low the 20" VLX remains. It's like the drum is eq'ed.
A 20" is punchier and clearer imo than the 22". Near field the sound comes off a bit faster to my ear, and that responsiveness makes it fun to play. If you like a "boomy" sound, just remove the muffling and it's there. I dug a 23" X I had the chance to play too. So if you want a bit more volume/loudness, that is the advantage the bigger diameter.
I've got a question about your rack. How tall are the two side bars in the front that attach to the legs? The product description says it comes with 1 42" curved bar (front) and 2 36" straight bars (sides) and 2 24" straight bars (i'm guessing for the legs). However, I've seen a few pics of dw racks that look like the 2 front vertical bars are different heights. See attached images. In the first image the bars look tall. I've seen images of dw racks where the side vertical bars look shorter allowing for lower crashes above the toms (more my style)...see second image. I know you can adjust the cymbal tube height, etc, but can you adjust the actual 'bar' height? Feel like I'm missing something unless they had them custom cut...