View Single Post
Old 02-26-2012, 02:44 AM

Default Re: Is Death Metal...dead?

Even if there are a million new death metal bands popping up every single day, if they all sound like watered down copies of what other death metal bands have already done then they might as well not exist at all. The NWOBHM produced some killer bands but also an infinite number of clones that pretty much killed the whole thing.

I'm more interested in bands doing something original and innovative, not staying in the comfort zone of what have become death metal cliches. I'm just not sure what new territory is left to explore in death metal and extreme metal in general. I find myself listening to the old school stuff more and more because of all the clones out there. The competition to see who can play the fastest and have the most brutal tone is stale city. The litmus test is still who can write quality songs that sound as good 20 years from now as they did when they were first released. I can still listen to Morbid Angel's covenant album over and over and have a satisfying listening experience, and then I listen to generic death metal band x's album once and toss it on the garbage heap of been there done that blandness.