View Single Post
Old 02-12-2012, 12:33 PM

Default Re: INTRODUCTIONS: Please Use This Thread To Introduce Yourself!

Real name? Mike
Age? 34
How long have you been playing? 20 years but LARGE gaps in between (see below)
Make of drumkit? Tama Silverstar Lacquer
Make of cymbal? Zildjian A
Where do you practice? Home
Are you in a band? Yes
Do you play covers or originals? Both
What style of music? Any type of rock
Favourite take out food? N/A I'm a health nut. Grilled chicken, broccoli, brown rice all the time
What country do you live in? USA
How did you start drumming? I was a huge hair band fan in 7th grade. Best friend from school played guitar and drums appealed to me.

I'm new here to this forum and I hope to learn a lot. A little background....

I got my first drumset when I was 13 after saving my money for a long time. A 5-piece black set from Sears (that was "made by Gretsch"). Very soon after, I added an extra bass drum and started buying used cymbals (mostly Zildjian Bronze Scimitars). Although I did snag a Zildjian A 16" Medium Thin Crash that I still use to this day.

No lessons for me (which I still regret). I just learned to play along to songs and I played with musicians immediately. We played our first shows in 1994 at the age of 17 at a HUGE club. Then we split up as I pursued a hockey career and the other members joined the military. We played again for a few months in 2000 while they were on leave to record a home-recorded CD. I moved out of my family's home and into an apartment (getting ready to become a homeowner in a few months!) Then I didn't touch my drums again until 2007. Played a few shows again in late 2007, then split up again. Drums gathered dust in my singer's basement. Fast forward to now....

In January they called me to come over and "jam for old time's sake." To my dismay, my drums and cymbal stands were severely rusted due to moisture issues in his basement. After one jam, I decided I want to keep playing drums with or without this band. I just bought a new Tama Silverstar 6 pc and have been playing as much as possible. Trying to rid myself of bad habits, and eliminated the second bass drum to get back to basics. I still consider myself a rookie drummer but I'm learning....