View Single Post
Old 01-30-2012, 12:40 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Creativity and who you live with

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
We have to remember that our dads grew up in a much different time than we did, and their dad's before them. Dad's weren't supposed to say mushy things about how you look, or play, or draw. Mom's did that ...
A mature observation, Sticksy. However, there's a difference between normal dopey Dad-ism and the active distaste for what I do. Diego knows what I mean ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by diegobxr View Post
I know exactly what you feel Polly. I live with my parents and in these 10+ years I've playing drums, my dad never cared one single day. He just doesn't like drums, he thinks they all sound the same (noise) and that they're a waste of time and money.
Commiserations Diego. It's like running uphill, isn't it? You had it worse than we did. When we were young Mum was mostly hands off re: the music because it wasn't her style, but she was always supportive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
If you don't tell someone you love them at least a couple times a day, there's something majorly missing in your life, possibly your soul.
I don't and there is. I think I learned to screw that side of things up from an expert :) I don't think I've been inclined to say "I love you" to anyone for, mmm, about 7 years or so. That's cool - I'm simply not even a bit mushy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
Moving up the corporate ladder, I found myself in recent years surrounded by people who had no interest in the arts
Funny thing dat ... I found the same thing. Those high up on the ladder on average seem to have less interest in music than average workers. Perhaps a lack of interest in music is an indicator for corporate success?? :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Pol's new situation is tricky one for her and probably requires adjustment by both parties but I think its safe to assume that they both are close.
Actually not, we haven't been close since my teens when I started thinking for myself, which of course is unacceptable behaviour for many dads, who miss the unquestioning idolisation of childhood. Since I (recently, ahem) achieved adulthood we've tended to operate more on a duty basis than any commonality or understanding. Venus and Mars ...

Quote:
Polly sticks are bouncing off pillows right now, but I think once there's some refamiliarization between the two, Polly's irrepressible joi de vivre' will return : )
And lemme tellya, without bounce my doubles are a comedy act (actually, they are with bounce too). I managed to sneak in some pad play to three Steely Dan songs today, which was nice.

I'd say my usual mode is more la vie praticables than joie de vie :) [thanks Google translation]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
Playing and creativity are influenced by both positive and negative feelings
Quote:
Yea, I guess I forgot a whole genre.. the blues! Pol, write some blues tunes : )

PS- Pol I hope you saw the Aussie open tennis final with him... whadda match!!!!!
True, making lemonade from the lemon ... ironically enough, after a long toon drought I did a couple of rough freehand toon sketches today (will recreate better image digitally when my program stops being so buggy). Guess what inspired this one? :)

BTW, thanks guys ... really appreciate the support.
Attached Images