View Single Post
Old 01-29-2012, 11:07 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Creativity and who you live with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Ha! I can't tell you how often I've played my music for dad, or given him my cartoons, art or writing. He has not said a good thing about a creative thing I've done in the last half century and has frequently said it was terrible. The best he's given me is "If it makes you happy ..."

Fathers! You can choose your friends but ...

The only sane response is to switch off and find more compatible people. Given that he needs me around most of the time this place is like an oasis for me!
I know exactly what you feel Polly. I live with my parents and in these 10+ years I've playing drums, my dad never cared one single day. He just doesn't like drums, he thinks they all sound the same (noise) and that they're a waste of time and money.

The only comments I get from him are when I come home with some new piece of gear, he looks at me and asks "what's that?", and when I say "a cymbal/snare/etc", he sighs like "God, I thought he was getting tired of it"..

And my mother all she says are sarcastic comments about how annoying drums are, and when am I moving out and stuff like that.

So yeah, what they've accomplished is that I don't play when they're home. And yeah, it really sucks.

But hey, some people have it a lot worse than I.

Cheers! :)