View Single Post
Old 01-24-2012, 05:54 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Does your dog or cat have conscious thought?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo View Post
I don't think dogs get bored; I think they have no other necessary survival tasks on their agenda (eating, sleeping, excreting), so they choose to be pleasured by playing. I think personality is based on DNA, which is different for every creature.
You're just guessing and, believe me, dogs get bored. They crave stimulation as we do. And like many kids and teens, when they get bored they get up to mischief.

Quote:
Animals don't need to know or understand what they're doing, they just do it.
I question how much people know what they're doing - the ramifications of what we do, fully understanding the cause and effect of our actions ... I think almost everyone only has a small glimpse into their existence.

Just think of the knowledge of the land - the flora and fauna, nature's rhythms, its vagaries in certain locales, its connections - so much was lost when we decimated indigenous societies and industrialised on the land. I'm not suggesting we are inferior to tribal people, just noticing that they did know things we didn't and that's just a tiny percentage of what people don't understand.

Think Donald Rumsfeld's unknown unknowns ...

Quote:
Thanks for the brain food, guys! I'm runnin' out of counter arguments...
For whom are you advocating? Mayhap a red horny guy with a tail? ... :)