View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012, 05:45 AM

Default Re: Does your dog or cat have conscious thought?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
I've been with dogs for , oh about 20 years and It is the other way around actually.

PS- You speak of conscious thought as a brain on an intelligence function. That would imply that Mike Tyson is less of a human than Albert Einstien was.

I'm not sure what you mean, but you reminded me of something else I was thinking about.

Animals don't quite think; they process. What I mean by this is that they don't think about whether they want to eat or sleep. They process the information at hand, for example, how hungry they are or how sleepy they are, and react based on that information. They don't think about hunger or tiredness like we do ("I'm hungry, I'll eat in a few minutes" or "I'm so tired, I just want to sleep"). What I'm getting at is that animals process data in a more simplified and involuntary way. If a light goes on a dog's brain telling it it's hungry, it will eat. Humans, on the other hand, think about the decision to eat based on a variety of things, and can even deny the satiation of hunger. Dogs don't do that.

By the way, I'm not stating this as fact. Sorry if it seems like I am saying all this stuff with certainty, or with any evidence. It's just what I think. This is philosophy, after all.