View Single Post
Old 01-11-2012, 04:26 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Default Re: Derek Roddy here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
Derek, your DVD is awesome! Also very cool you have Johnny Rabb appear on your DVD, haha. Your DVD (and George's) provides excellent material to draw upon for months & years (rather: a lifetime). The "Extra" section is great also, it's cool you're shedding some light on your hobby (snakes). Thank you for making this DVD!
Cheers brotha, glad you dig it. Hopefully, you'll get what you need from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhusudanraman View Post
Derek,
I'm 17 years old and i've been drumming for 3 years now. I play only one bass, but i end up spraining my ankles when i try to speed things up. i noticed that you blast beat with one foot sometimes. I know it'll take a while, but could you help me on how to start developing that kind of flexibility?
i love your approach to the drums as an instrument. thanks :D
and i'll try to find some stuff that you would like. i've been learning jazz, but i also want to branch out at the same time :)
Thanks man....

The best exercise I've found for building speed.....is actually an endurance exercise.
Simply play a single stroke roll between one hand and one foot.....for as long as you can.
There are four combinations to play.

RH/RF
LH/LF
RH/LF
LH/RF

These are good because.... they work each hand and foot separately, something I feel that is very important for playing clean and precise.
Also, because you are exercising the feet and hands together in the same exercise...makes for a good time management exercise as well.

D