Thread: Pierre Moerlen
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 06:37 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Default Re: Pierre Moerlen

I used to listen to Gong (sorry, didn't mention it in our PM's Polly) and I've been impressed with Pierre Moerlen's percussive approach to drumming, which is not surprising, as he studied classical percussion at a conservatory of music in France. Pierre was also at one stage part of the ensemble "Les Percussions de Strasbourg".

Moerlen "quitted" the band on several occasions, just to return a few years later, with new personnel and new material.

In 1974, he left Gong, and he was replaced for the susequent tour by another of your "hero", Polly, Mr Bill Bruford.

There were many versions of this band: Gong, Gong-Expresso and finaly Pierre Moerlen's Gong.

He has also contributed with his talent in projects by Brand X, Steve Hillage and Mike Oldfield.

In 2004, "Pentanine", the new project with his brother Benoit, and they planned to put together another version of Gong, alas, it has never happened, as Pierre Moerlen passed away in early 2005.

A great drummer, with an original view at drumming, he's sure missed by many, including myself. Long live Gong. :)