View Single Post
Old 12-27-2011, 01:47 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Mortality and our fleeting legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
I do get a sense of what you are feeling because I've experienced some of what you are going through.

Its easier to be philosophical as we get older but ultimately it is about 'playing your music' ( read metaphor for life ) .. So what is our legacy, then?

I wear an old T-shirt very proudly which has a man and his dog walking into the horizon and it says Don't Leave a Trace . Its an axiom that I'm getting more and more comfortable with. Ashes to ashes dust to dust.

I have come to believe that the living moment, the here and the now, is the only truth that I can old on to, and everything else is just notes in the air. People who believe otherwise are chasing life's many shaggy dogs, including the desperate need to be relevant, meaningful, impactful, rich whatever...
Perhaps I say this is with the advantage of some hindsight, having some 50 odd years under my belt and after one has fought many of life's battles, some won, some lost and some drawn.

As Bo said, creating a home that feels warm and inviting always, is Nobel Prize- worthy in my silly opinion too. I know you are an admirer of George Carlin and his take on who we are as a species and our role on this planet is highly self indulgent and arrogant.

Accomplishment is what it is in the end. The need to evaluate ourselves. But by what rule do we measure? Paul McCartney, Steve Jobs or Bo's parents. They all created something that someone else drew inspiration and strength from. Who judges?

As for your music, I think it lives in you, the person and not on your disk drive, or your recordings. Its the people you touch through any medium.

As a kid, my world was transformed forever, not only because I heard the Beatles, Zeppelin, or any of the big 'game changers'. It changed because I heard Paul Nye play a major 7th arpeggio in a cheap dive I'd snuck into in NYC.

I don't know what became of Paul Nye or what his legacy was, but I know for sure that I am a part of it.
And he doesn't know that.
Sorry, I missed this fabulous post earlier. An Abe special :)

Don't Leave a Trace ... well, like the man's dog walking into the horizon, we can't help but to leave few, um ... traces behind us, eh?

It's a romantic notion (Abe, a romantic? Perish the thought :) to whisk through life as lightly as a ghost but we human enjoy doing things that leave "traces" for others to "sniff". Whether anyone does sniff them, well, that's their business ...

So true about little things having the biggest impact and that we can unwittingly transform each other's lives with the simplest things.