View Single Post
Old 12-27-2011, 11:17 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Mortality and our fleeting legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Yesterday, I crouched down between the adjacent graves of my parents. I placed both hands directly over their heads to connect them together through me, & I watched my tears absorb into the earth below me. I smiled, as for the first time since their deaths, I remembered their smiles, rather than the horror of the time prior to their demise. My parents are buried in a woodland, with no headstones or anything to mark their presence. They wanted to be there as a part of the landscape, & only the ones who's lives they touched would identify with the location. My mother said, "when I'm in the ground, look to the sky". I did.

The point I'm making is that it's often the small things that last in the consciousness of others, not the things we believe will be our legacy. My mother's legacy to me is her smile, & behind that smile, all the values that she held as dear. If we strive to leave a legacy, especially something we regard as special or unique in some way, it's more likely to be the tiny things, a moment, a smile, that stays with the ones we've touched along the way.

As for my music, it's future is inconsequential to those I care about, & even if I was lucky enough to leave some fantastic piece of music that was appreciated by millions, it wouldn't be the music itself that touched the individual, it would be the memories evoked by association. Very few people in life really touch you, & by the same mechanism, you truly touch only a handful yourself. Let your music be a joy of the moment. A joy for you, a joy for those you are entertaining. It's really nothing more than that, but if you're lucky, your music will be the catalyst for something that really touches someone else, & that will most likely be the memory of a smile.
I get what your parents felt, Andy.

Conversely,

.... my mother was a writer and a singer. She performed and recorded a fair amount. She also had hundreds of tapes of some well known opera singers, and classical musicians, in conversation-performance, rehearsals... valueable stuff- she thought. Given my interest in music, she wanted to make sure I inherited her collection. The passage of time and my lack of interest in the years following her death destroyed and de- oxidized all the tapes, and today theres is nothing.
Similarly, my father collected antique furniture for 20 years, not because he loved it, but because he thought he would bequeath something of value & wondferful to the homes of his 2 sons. Lo and behold when the time came, both his sons prefer not to have that furniture in their homes, and all of it today is rotting in our basements.

All the plans on mice and men...