View Single Post
Old 12-27-2011, 10:31 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Mortality and our fleeting legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post

I dont know what became of Paul Nye or what his legacy was, but I know for sure that I am a part of it.
And he doesnt know that.

Yesterday, I crouched down between the adjacent graves of my parents. I placed both hands directly over their heads to connect them together through me, & I watched my tears absorb into the earth below me. I smiled, as for the first time since their deaths, I remembered their smiles, rather than the horror of the time prior to their demise. My parents are buried in a woodland, with no headstones or anything to mark their presence. They wanted to be there as a part of the landscape, & only the ones who's lives they touched would identify with the location. My mother said, "when I'm in the ground, look to the sky". I did.

The point I'm making is that it's often the small things that last in the consciousness of others, not the things we believe will be our legacy. My mother's legacy to me is her smile, & behind that smile, all the values that she held as dear. If we strive to leave a legacy, especially something we regard as special or unique in some way, it's more likely to be the tiny things, a moment, a smile, that stays with the ones we've touched along the way.

As for my music, it's future is inconsequential to those I care about, & even if I was lucky enough to leave some fantastic piece of music that was appreciated by millions, it wouldn't be the music itself that touched the individual, it would be the memories evoked by association. Very few people in life really touch you, & by the same mechanism, you truly touch only a handful yourself. Let your music be a joy of the moment. A joy for you, a joy for those you are entertaining. It's really nothing more than that, but if you're lucky, your music will be the catalyst for something that really touches someone else, & that will most likely be the memory of a smile.