View Single Post
Old 12-27-2011, 07:08 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Mortality and our fleeting legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
I watched one of your video the other day, and girl, I was scared, not by the music, the video started with the face of a girl upside down with horrible make up and green hair, scary nightmare stuff.. ;-))
That was Who Is That Calling Me Now by my weird old early 80s band. The silly visual kind of suited the song, though, didn't it? :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
People search their family trees to trace their roots all the time using genealogy sites. I just mean that anyone interested in my family lineage could find more about me online in a few minutes than our parents' generation could with months of painstaking research.
That's true. We can leave breadcrumbs. However, mum's work was used in plenty of high profile publications but now her work is historical and largely forgotten. Grains of sand on a beach. Thing is, she always eschewed the literary scene and had few contacts and friends in her field. So when she passed away, few literary people knew or were strongly impacted by her passing and her work sunk under the weight of new works.

If you're not the creme de la creme then hardly anyone (sometimes no one) gives a damn - apart from people who like you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Recordings won't delete themselves from the net when I die
No (though they may be archived) but who's going to play them?

Quote:
Were you bored cataloging your Mom's writings? Even if they do get bored, at least they can actually see what I was like, how I moved, my expressions, and a hundred other nuances
Have to say it was a chore. Her grandson has never read her stories and he's not interested. He's not much keen on books per se - he prefers music, girls, movies and games.

We get obsolete pretty fast these days.

Quote:
Disagree here too, I play for the music and the others. Being happy is a side effect
But that's why you want to make others happy - it makes you happy to make them happy. You play music to be happy - be instant happiness or extended happiness via recordings (despite the cringe moments).

I hope you don't ask me what my point is because I'm getting lost now :)