View Single Post
Old 12-27-2011, 02:42 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Mortality and our fleeting legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
At least we do something that can be recorded and preserved for the enjoyment of future generations, something no insurance salesman could say.

...The things we take for granted now (Oh man, I was dragging on that tune) will be fondly looked back upon for their historical context.
Not so sure about that, Larry. It seems to me that after we die almost all of it disappears into the ether, unless you're John Lennon, Michael Jackson, Buddy Rich etc. For most of us, our recordings' lifespan is pretty well the same as our own.

Your grandkids will only care up to the point of "Oh, Grandpa Larry was a drummer. Cool" (or they'll ask "What's a drummer?"). Then there's a good chance that they'll hear two bars of your music, get bored, and move on.

I've tried reading mum's stories and, while I can tell they are very well written, it's not a style I enjoy.

Quote:
Playing makes me temporarily happy
I think this is 99% of the point of playing.

Quote:
, but having recordings of my playing gives me real long lasting pleasure. I am so grateful for all the recordings I have, it's a musical timeline of my life. Preserving a whole night of music, the memories, the atmosphere, the people...everything....is something I am very keen on doing. I want to preserve my efforts. I am grateful that what we do is easily preserved.
Yes, long lasting pleasure that lasts the distance of our life span ...