Thread: Photography
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2011, 02:55 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

Default Re: Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
You would. :) You are a crazy guy, and I am starting to appreciate that about you. Why be the same as everybody else. That is easy. Good on you, as some on here would say.

I have no use for film. I don't miss anything about it. My brother wasted more money on bad shots, just trying things. Just think about the poor environment with all the chemicals, and all. Give me my Canon Rebel XT anyday. I traded in my AE 1 years ago and don't miss it at all.
It's not that I intentionally aim to be different, that's the thing. I just have a genuine affinity with certain physicalities and modus operandi that others don't always have. It's the same when I'm learning a new skill or piece of information - I don't build from principles but take the whole concept and then break it down into smaller pieces whenever I'm interested in what I'm doing. It's the equivalent of learning to play rudiments to build up drum set skills and listening to Tony Williams for five hours a day instead to work out what he's doing.

I only realised I was like that after it was realised that I have severe dyslexia. I didn't exactly have an easy time at school because nobody catered for my way of learning.

Objectively, digital photography is better in every way now. I can't deny that digital cameras are better in almost every way to the best film cameras. What people can do now with a cheap point and shoot is incredible and I have all the time in the World for that. My Dad loves his DSLR and he's always been an avid photographer - as has my Uncle who has been on World trips with his old film SLRs (including that Pentax K2 that I was talking about earlier). Digital produces better images (provided the user is any good) with instant feedback, more shot capacity and greater ease of editing.

On the other hand, I like to be limited to 36 frames (usually black and white) and really have to work to get shots that there are of no guaranteed quality. I wouldn't even know if there was a problem with my film speed setting until I get the film back. I like that. I like that only one of my cameras has any automation so I have to manually adjust everything. I like being given limitations. My musical composition is the same - I did most of my work on cassette tape and then used computers as the control systems. Last year a couple of us were seriously thinking about getting work pressed to vinyl. I still collect and listen to vinyl on a daily basis!

It's the physicality of the old analogue formats that I love - even if the digital modern equivalent is actually better by almost every objective measure.