View Single Post
Old 12-17-2011, 12:40 AM

Default Re: Is it fair to play live with a metronome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
I agree with both of you. Music aimed at young people is becoming increasingly digitised. No doubt some music is best when it's super precise. However, I'm hearing a lot of pop songs on the radio that I think would be better served with more organic treatment ... but that's just me (and other oldies, I expect). Each generation's tastes vary.
I completely 100% agree that a helluva lot of music would be much better with more organic production and breathing in time and feel that a lot of modern music is very sterile and inhuman.

But do you agree that - er, someone - has live performances confused with rehearsals? How about Pink Floyd, Tool, etc? Do you agree that playing live with a metronome is unfair? That amplification and effects and light shows have never got in the way of human elements of playing? That a metronome being used live suggests a crutch for someone who hasn't learned time? That we're being goofy and cheating ourselves by not requiring every emotional experience music takes us on to be click free?

And does anyone have the slightest idea which listeners aren't real exactly?

Last edited by Duckenheimer; 12-17-2011 at 12:59 AM.