View Single Post
Old 12-01-2011, 08:59 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Jagger & Bowie Dancing in the Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by inneedofgrace View Post
Speaking of fruity, here's the video that killed a potentially great rock and roll career:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR0j7sModCI
I missed this. LOL - what a funny little man. Imagine being the director and saying "Good work, Billy. That's a take" after he's just pranced gauchely across the room. Maybe Ed Wood was directing?

But if you close your eyes he had a cool Robert Plant thing going vocally ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
I'm not interested in how much or little effort goes into a song, how educated the players are by any particular standards, how 'intelligent' the music or lyrics are, how well-respected the players are among the music community, the age, gender or nationality of the players, or even whether there's a live drummer on the track. I am only interested in whether the resulting work appeals to me. The sole criterion being, does it make me feel good? It's that simple.

Now, do I recognize the effort and craftsmanship that goes into various songs? Of course. I can appreciate what an artist does without actually liking what they do. There are plenty of musicians I find amazing, but don't enjoy the music they make if it doesn't make me feel good. If I have to search for or rationalize or qualify its 'value' in order to like it, then I'm not really enjoying it.
Nicely put, Jon. Some people have a bottom line of mastery when it comes to listening, so they won't ever enjoy a White Stripes song on principle.

I'm more like you - if I like it I like it. Anything from The Shaggs's to Mahavishnu Orchestra to John Cage to Abba ... it's all just "food".