View Single Post
Old 11-24-2011, 08:36 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: Jagger & Bowie Dancing in the Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Dirt View Post
I see I knew shallow people in the past, I understand. So listening to a nice rhythm guitar that most anyone could play would get a positive but not amazed comment from you?? Yet if you did look "deeper" to find the chords were barred and the strumming was both accomplished by using feet that would still keep the ordinary rhythm just that, ordinary?
Yeah screw looking deeper to much effort! Doc
You're deliberately missing/twisting my point.

I short, I'm not interested in how much or little effort goes into a song, how educated the players are by any particular standards, how 'intelligent' the music or lyrics are, how well-respected the players are among the music community, the age, gender or nationality of the players, or even whether there's a live drummer on the track. I am only interested in whether the resulting work appeals to me. The sole criterion being, does it make me feel good? It's that simple.

Now, do I recognize the effort and craftsmanship that goes into various songs? Of course. I can appreciate what an artist does without actually liking what they do. There are plenty of musicians I find amazing, but don't enjoy the music they make if it doesn't make me feel good. If I have to search for or rationalize or qualify its 'value' in order to like it, then I'm not really enjoying it.

Think of it like being told a joke - you either get it, or you don't. If it has to be explained to you, it's no longer funny.

Bermuda

Last edited by bermuda; 11-26-2011 at 03:34 AM. Reason: Further clarification