Thread: Good funk bands
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2011, 02:31 AM
drumfreak1987

Default Re: Good funk bands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Dirt View Post
You need to be more specific here, Stevie Wonder doesn't fall into a Funk catagory. He can be funky but he's not a funk performer say like Parliment/Funkadellics. The Meters are a funky band not a funk band, if you play or played either type of music you'd know exactly what I mean. They are two forms of Soul Music and can be joined but the differences are mainly in the grooves and basslines. No different than Disco it was a form of Soul and Latin to a minimal degree but a part of Soul non the less.
Funk................to..............Funky are two different things. Doc

Stevie Wonder and The Meters not funk artists????? "Higher Ground" is a full on funk song, as is "Reggae Woman", "Signed, Sealed, Delivered", and tons more in his repertoire. The Meters are the quintessential funk group. I play funk and rock, and can't say I know what you mean. Every time I talk to other funk musicians and aficionados, they ask my influences, I tell them, and they say, "yup, kiddo, you got the funk in your life" (or something along those lines....and the meters and stevie wonder are two of the artists I mention). Never have they said that they aren't funk, and they have no problem telling me that the music i think is funk is the wrong stuff.